This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

what exactly will/does/can a housekeeper do? and how much do they cost ? (home counties)

(14 Posts)
LittleRedChopper Mon 14-Nov-16 23:07:22

I WFH so I can be around the children. I have 4 DC and have had a nanny before but while she is brilliant with the children and q good in the kitchen - I think it would be better to move over to a housekeeper who's happy to do a small amount of childcare, now that the children are a bit older.

Our nanny went on a planned extended holiday and now plans to return to travelling. What we discovered was that really we managed okay without her - bar a couple of hours when the older DC had activities that were at supper time that were a total PITA for the preschoolers

Have had a look on care.com and it seems to be around £8 an hour gross- does this sound right? Would be looking at 3-7pm daily I think.
Aware this is a massive first world prob
TIA for any thoughts

Strokethefurrywall Mon 14-Nov-16 23:10:30

Different country but we're getting a housekeeper when we move into our new house in a few weeks.
DH and I will continue with school runs etc, but will have a housekeeper to clean, walk dogs, grocery shop, get dinner on, lunch boxes ready for next day etc.

I think we'll be paying around $10-$12 per hour from 2-6pm so I think £8 per hour sounds about right!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 15-Nov-16 07:36:48

£8gross sounds very cheap for a HK. Obv area depending ......

I doubt you will get someone for that for 4hrs a day

What did you pay your nanny?

RentANDBills Tue 15-Nov-16 09:50:42

Crikey, £8 an hour is barely over minimum wage. As a Nanny I get £14 gross an hour, and I wouldn't expect a HK to get much less than me, or maybe even more in some cases.

Daisiesandgerberas Tue 15-Nov-16 12:23:51

I work as a h/keper in the Home Counties (having done 20 years of nannying with h/keeping) and now receive £15 p/h gross. I work for 3 families over a week.

MargeryFenworthy Wed 16-Nov-16 20:38:49

We pat £15 per hour in Kent.

PoisonousSmurf Sun 20-Nov-16 21:00:54

The pay scale on care.com is complete rubbish! For that kind of job, you should be paying minimum of £12 an hour.

seasidesally Mon 28-Nov-16 20:19:09

what rate were you expecting op

Laska5772 Mon 28-Nov-16 20:24:27

What do you expect your housekeeper to do?
How many hours a day ?
Live in or live out?

Laska5772 Mon 28-Nov-16 20:31:01

[[http://www.edenprivatestaff.com/what-we-do/housekeepers/ this JD is interesting.

They say: "The salary range is typically from £400 – £500 net for a live in position or £450 -£550 for a live out position. Housekeepers are usually charged at the hourly rate of £10 – £15."..

If thats monthly its not muchat all!! (is it monthly do you htink? ) , .. I would expect quite a bit more , depending on th e hours .

Laska5772 Mon 28-Nov-16 20:31:38

link again

Enidblyton1 Mon 28-Nov-16 20:58:25

I'm afraid you won't get much for £8/hour

We pay £11/hour in the Home Counties. Our housekeeper will clean, cook, make beds, look after children, iron etc. Pretty much whatever I ask her to do.

I think £10 would be absolute minimum to pay for someone good, and I know several people who pay £15/hour.

nbee84 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:56:01

Laska - that'll be weekly pay, not monthly.

Trifleorbust Tue 29-Nov-16 15:44:20

£8 an hour is very low for someone you are entrusting with children and housework as well. It's minimum wage plus a little bit, and I assume you want someone qualified...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now