This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Stranded. Aupairs unreliable.

(31 Posts)
user1478172962 Thu 03-Nov-16 12:02:05

Does anyone know someone who is interested in live in childcare role? Since the referendum on EU membership I have has aupairs arrivevfrom Europe use my WiFi to contact their friends and leave after a few days. In fact the last one I got from aupair world lasted less than 24 hours. She didnt pick child from school, didn't speak to child at all, complained the house was too dirty for her and that her grand ma suddenly had a few days to live.

I am drained completely. Just started a new job that I thought was home based as stipulated in contract but they want me on site everyday. Due to immigration controls the UK government has given the upper hand to certain nationalities to hold people like me to Ransome.

Anyone able to help me??? I tried a nearby university careers offcoe and after agreeing to help stated they won't advertise job that is not based on minimum wage. I can't pay minimum wage as in asdition to pockey money, I am providing accommodation food etc. Everywhere I turn its either stupid red tape or sheer unacceptable behavior from the aupairs.

Kidnapped Thu 03-Nov-16 12:05:50

"I can't pay minimum wage as in asdition to pockey money"

How much are you paying?

How many hours do you need from the au pair to cover childcare?

How many children? What ages?

Does the OP have her own room? Do you pay for language courses, travel card etc?

Is the house dirty? (as one of the au pairs said)

MadHattersWineParty Thu 03-Nov-16 12:09:34

Well, it really depends on the job specifications doesn't it?

How many au pairs have you had that have upped and left? It's fairly uncommon for that to be a request pattern.

MyschoolMyrules Thu 03-Nov-16 12:14:47

Sorry op, I would have thought that an au pair using your wifi would be normal nowadays. Au pairs don't work full time, and the last thing you want is for them to be lonely especially in the first few weeks when they have not made friends here yet.

And immigration conditions have not changed. I am not sure I am following you. Are you using an agency?

Are you using an agency? Are you recruiting direct?

Kidnapped Thu 03-Nov-16 12:16:44

If you need someone to cover childcare from 8am until 5pm, say, then a university student will be no use whatsoever. They have at least some classes to attend during that time.

I wonder if a nursery/childminder would be better for you. If you only need daytime childcare then it will be more expensive, yes, but more reliable. And then you don't need to house and feed someone.

HeadDreamer Thu 03-Nov-16 12:16:48

What a strange post. What is it have to do with the EU referendum? Or do you mean you want to import slaves into this country, make them live in your house and work for far below the minimum wage? Are those Europeans not fit for purpose because they aren't tied to you and they can walk out whenever they can?

The university is right not to allow you to advertise for a below minimum wage job. You can pay a student proper hourly rate, just like other working parents in the UK.

Amalfimamma Thu 03-Nov-16 12:17:25

Are you using an agency? If so I'd change to someone who actually checks their Au Pairs .

If not, try Celtic Childcare in Turin Italy as they check both families and Au Pairs and I have found them to be fantastic

HeadDreamer Thu 03-Nov-16 12:18:19

FYI, I use a ofsted registered childminder for after school and holiday care.

Kidnapped Thu 03-Nov-16 12:19:31

The OP mentions that the last au pair came from the AuPair World agency.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 03-Nov-16 12:28:36

Yes, why are you funny about them using your wifi?confused

user1477282676 Thu 03-Nov-16 12:30:44

If more than one Aupair left me at short notice, I'd assume there was something wrong with the way I was managing things. Not the other way round.

Yerazig Thu 03-Nov-16 12:57:00

^^that what I was thinking if this is a regular occurrence I'm going to go on a long shot and assume it's something you/your family are doing wrong.

wwwdotheredotcodotuk Thu 03-Nov-16 13:04:43

Thanks will try them. It is the vetting that is the problem.

wwwdotheredotcodotuk Thu 03-Nov-16 13:07:32

No this was not the case until after the EU vote. The girls arrive and decide to leave. People who visit the home have also observed that its just sheer bad luck.

wwwdotheredotcodotuk Thu 03-Nov-16 13:14:29

WiFi is free here. Itbosba problem when someone arrives uses it and refusesbto pick a child from school. Making contact with people is not the issue. Obdiscuss they we live in rural England before they arrive. They agree. As soon as they get here. Its London. There seem to be a misinterpretation of what this is about. I have had good aupairs in the past. Former coming to spend Christmas and even former aupairs are scratching their head Wondering why people can't keep to their promise. Sadly I am not the only one with this same problem. Some may have been lucky but this is where we are.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 03-Nov-16 13:16:20

I really can't understand what the EU referendum has got to do with it. No restrictions have been imposed on EU citizens in terms of travelling/working in other countries.

Hastalapasta Thu 03-Nov-16 13:18:08

Name change or not dotthereddot? Sounds awful though.

wwwdotheredotcodotuk Thu 03-Nov-16 13:20:06

They are the best. Sadly I leave earlier than they start and they can't do my child s school. When child was belowbschool age it was easier. And cheaper too. I have paid significantly more. Provide ensuit room, sometimes pay for college courses, etc but I need a miracle right now as love in is what suitsy family situation. 2 agencies I have used stated other families have expert mced similar. Do you know where I can find granny nannies?

wwwdotheredotcodotuk Thu 03-Nov-16 13:23:29

No restrictions hence I approach them. Sadly this is the trend we have observed.

wwwdotheredotcodotuk Thu 03-Nov-16 13:33:01

500 a month to take a child to school and back and do light house work don't seem cheap. Especially as we provide full boarding and meals with a petty cash card to buy what they need. May be you can tell me how much all that converts to if you don't pay bills buy food nor pay for accommodation. I pay above aupair rates. But I think it may only suite student who has flexible hours otherwise itay affect their studies. Most of the time I have received non students. A colleague uses a mature student band advised me to. Itvwill help if people comment on how I can solve my problem rather than attacking my post. What worked for one may not work for others.

Jackie0 Thu 03-Nov-16 13:34:23

It's quite difficult to read your posts op.
" As soon as they get here. It's London."
What?
They want to work in London or it's described as rural and then they think it's London?
Wouldn't the agency make sure they know where the job is?
Would you consider a nanny perhaps ?

wwwdotheredotcodotuk Thu 03-Nov-16 13:34:34

Thanks. Is it the post, or the name that is awful sweetie?

wwwdotheredotcodotuk Thu 03-Nov-16 13:38:35

My dear I will consider Nanny. Couple of people have suggested the younger ones prefer London. But phew. We do all that interview and matching and I take videos and send links etc. And reiterate we dont live in london but there re direct trains for you to visit weekends. My friend thinks not having aan in the house hasn't helped either. Rough times. What worries me is this was not the case about year ago

wwwdotheredotcodotuk Thu 03-Nov-16 13:47:15

True. We don't want them lonely hence we encourage all sorts of activities. In fact the last one turned down offer to enrol her at college so she can meet her age mates as I work. But the WiFi thing is not about stopping them using WiFi. Oh no. Its metaphorical. As in once they go online and hook up with friends in the big cities., they breach contract and have to mkenup story. And sadly I am not the only facing this problem

Kidnapped Thu 03-Nov-16 13:58:45

I think that Hastalapasta means that the situation sounds awful, OP.

You say that they get £500 per month. How many hours do you expect them to do for that? You say that you leave for work before childminders or nurseries are open? So the aupair has to look after the child from around 7.00 until 9 and then 3 until 6 or so? That's 5 hours per day and presumably you expect housework on top?

You need to be very clear about what hours they are expected to work.

Presumably they get weekends off?

I don't think students will work. It would have to be someone who can guarantee that they don't have a 9am class or any classes after around 2 or 3. What happens when a student has exams? And then what happens in school holidays?

Can you arrange it so that you or your husband drops the child off every day? Then the child can go to a childminder after school. It would be less hassle all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now