This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Constipation - 2.5 week old baby

(7 Posts)
Kiki120514 Thu 03-Nov-16 03:57:30

Hi my two and a half week old baby appears really uncomfortable the past few days when he tries to poo and Ive come to the conclusion it's constipation based on his nappy changes and struggle to poo. He's hysterical. Any ideas on how to help? It's 4am and I'm struggling with sleep too ;)

LauraPalmersBodybag Thu 03-Nov-16 04:41:31

Hi kiki is he breast or formula fed? Can't help if ff but if you're bf you could try drinking fennel tea which has a very mild effect in your breastmilk. I'd also just feed feed feed in the hope that you can help push anything blocked through.

Might it be trapped wind? You could try a hold called 'tiger in the tree' that's very soothing for babies.

Sorry you're having a tricky night. It's awful when they're distressed. Hope you both get some sleep.

jaffajiffy Thu 03-Nov-16 04:47:11

Hi sorry to hear of the baby's distress. You poor things. I found baby massage worked wonders cycling the legs and doing "sun and moon" on baby's tummy.
You have posted in childcare btw. I'm sure you'd get more response in a more relevant topic?

Strawberry90 Thu 03-Nov-16 04:49:09

I don't think he'll be constipated at this age. Unless you have suddenly switched to formula or something?

All young babies struggle to poo a little. More likely trapped wind.

Try gently pushing his legs to his tummy and/or doing cycling motions with them. Will help relief any wind and get any poo out.

Wind him really well after a feed - keep him upright for a good 20 mins or so. Also try infacol if he is hard to get burps up from.

Also make sure you are feeding him well and not taking on loads of air.

Kiki120514 Thu 03-Nov-16 12:57:29

Thank you everyone for the support and quick replies. Liking this forum already ;) I will try the above suggestions and let you know. I don't think it's wind because he burps (and more haha) perfectly well instantly after feeds. But he does take quite a lot of milk (around 4 ounces each feed every 3 hours). Thanks ladies xxx

Strawberry90 Thu 03-Nov-16 13:20:04

Hmm does sound not like wind then. Maybe try a different formula too see if settles better with him (if you've not already tried this).

Kiki120514 Thu 03-Nov-16 13:22:30

I'm currently using aptamil... but a few people have said they had a similar experience with this formula and changed? At the same time Ive heard it's the best Breast replacement... I'm mix feeding too. So confused. The joys of being a first time mum lol x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now