This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pre-registration visit

(7 Posts)
JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Tue 01-Nov-16 20:26:35

I'm in the final stages of my ofsted registration and I'm a bit nervous about the visit. If anyone can answer my possibly daft questions it would be appreciated

1. Do I need insurance etc in place beforehand?
2. I'm going to use Babysdays for invoices, observations etc. Do I need this before the visit?
3. I only have a small dining table. My plan was to feed the mindees together then my DCs later on. Is this ok?
4. Do I need locks on the doors I won't be using e.g my bedroom?
5. What sort of things will they ask me?
6. DS1 has SN (ADHD and anxiety- all manageable) will this go against me? Should I just not mention it?

I've worked in nurseries for years but being on my own is throwing me off completely!

JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Tue 01-Nov-16 20:28:47

Also what policies do I need?! I've written loads but I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I have the basics- illness, lost child, accidents, visitors etc.

NickNacks Tue 01-Nov-16 21:14:29

Sorry for the brief answers,
1) no
2) no
3) yes
4) no
5) basic knowledge of EYFS and your role and responsibilities as a cm. check first aid and safeguarding are completed.
6) you must disclose this but it will be fine.

JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Tue 01-Nov-16 21:23:30

Brief answers are perfect. Thank you for replying!

Doglikeafox Tue 01-Nov-16 21:35:06

Hiya, I just had my pre-registration inspection 3 months ago so I should be able to help... First off remember... it is pre-registration... they really don't expect you to have it all sorted! My inspector was really lovely.
1) I don't know if you need it in place, but my inspector did ask me if I had any so it might be worth making a note of the company you plan to use and how much it will cost, so you can show your inspector that you have thought about it.
2) Again, you will only need to show the inspector that you have thought about what you are going to do. Make a note of what you are going to use Babysdays for, how much (if anything?) it costs, how often you need to renew membership etc.
3) That will be fine- I worried so much about things like this and my inspector really didn't give a monkeys about things like that lol! Ofsted are only concerned with the welfare of the children.
4) I put locks on all my doors that children could access (e.g. they will be on the landing in order to walk between the loo and playroom, so I put a lock on my bedroom door and boiler cupboard which are in between those two rooms). I ran out of safety catches on my kitchen cupboards, so just put post it notes where I would have the catches. This showed my inspector that I knew what the risks were and how to overcome them, which is all they need to know.
5) The questions they ask are quite basic things about the areas of learning, key areas of the EYFS, ways in which children learn, types of abuse. You don't need to know it all, just have the general gist and I let my inspector know that I am constantly updating my CPD and expanding my knowledge. The only questions I really struggled with was when he asked about who I would report certain things to, how I would handle complaints and when I would get in touch with OFSTED about things but he really didn't seem to mind that I didn't get it all right. My partner (also did his pre-reg inspection) managed to get through most of his questions by telling them that he hadn't finished his level 3 in HBCA yet and wasn't planning on childminding until he had so couldn't answer a lot of the questions.
6) You should definitely tell them but I'm sure it won't be an issue. As long as you can tell the inspector how you manage your son's behaviour and how you will be able to continue to do that with mindees with you, you should be fine. Maybe even write a behaviour management policy.
7) Are you a member of PACEY? They have a huge list of example policies. I have added my own policies as time went on, but the list on PACEY's website is plenty to get through your inspection. If you are short on time, maybe sift through each policy and write 5 bullet points on what you will include in each policy so they can see that you understand what must be included.
Best of luck and please try not to worry! It will all be fine!

JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Wed 02-Nov-16 08:03:04

Thank you!

One last question- should I register as self employed now or after registration?

Doglikeafox Wed 02-Nov-16 08:22:30

After registration. Technically, you aren't self-employed now because you aren't operating yet.
I didn't apply to be self employed until about a month ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now