This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny - ID requirements

(15 Posts)
CiaoMama Sun 30-Oct-16 21:22:36

Hi everyone, I'd be grateful for some advice.

We have a great live-out nanny due to start settling in time with us this week, in advance of taking over sole charge the following week. We've got our side of the paperwork, payroll, referencing etc completed. We had mentioned when she comes to us this week we would need to see her passport or other documentation to prove she has a right to work in the UK in line with our obligations as an employer and also to confirm identity etc.

She explained she doesn't have a passport (we've seen driving licence) and has not responded when I mentioned the alternative forms of ID we need to see instead of a passport (full birth certificate). I'm not sure whether she will have these documents when she comes tomorrow.

I am fairly sure she is British, but we still need to see the forms of ID for legal reasons and to be assured of her identity. We won't be in a position to employ her until we've seen them so she won't be able to start until then.

Has anyone been in a similar position and can advise on the approach taken? I would have expected a professional, OFSTED-registered nanny could provide us with her ID so this has caught me by surprise. I am now feeling concerned for various reasons but still trying to find a way forward.

Sorry for the long-winded post!

NuffSaidSam Sun 30-Oct-16 21:34:31

She has provided you with ID; her driving license. That's enough to prove her identity - it's enough for Ofsted, for example.

Then you need birth certificate and something with her NI number on to prove eligibility to work in the UK. If she doesn't have them tomorrow, tell her she must bring them the next day/asap.

I don't think there is any reason to be unduly concerned though.

CiaoMama Sun 30-Oct-16 21:36:12

I should add - we've seen her ID in the form of a driving licence/proof of address, it's more the right to work in the UK requirements we haven't seen ID for yet.

ClaudiaJean2016 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:37:27

Does she have a national insurance card? Or other proof of her national insurance number? Isn't that enough?

I wouldn't be able to provide you with a birth certificate as my parents lost mine, so I don't have one.

CiaoMama Sun 30-Oct-16 21:40:39

Thanks very much for the reply - she indicated she might not have the birth certificate either (easy enough to order one, just takes time to be delivered). From what I know, we can't have her start until she can provide some form of evidence and the birth cert. can take up to a week to arrive meaning she can't actually be employed by us/looking after my child until then.

LIZS Sun 30-Oct-16 21:41:11

A certified copy of brig certificate would suffice, Claudia. You can get one for less than £10 and they are required for everything form employment to opening a bank account these days. Op , you are correct in insisting on birth certificate or passport before you can proceed.

Balletgirlmum Sun 30-Oct-16 21:43:42

You absolutely have to see he full birth certificate & sonething with her NI number on. A driving licence is not proof of nationality. If she's only got a short birth certificate she needs to apply for & pay for a full one.

It's been in the news in my local area that in the past few weeks immigration officials have been holding unannounced inspections. They have so far targeted small businesses that traditionally employ immigrant workers eg local car washes but I reckon childcare providers will be next.

If she absolutely does not have the ID I think there is a last resort home office verification device check that can be carried out.

CiaoMama Sun 30-Oct-16 21:44:57

Thanks for clarifying, that's what I had understood - a bit frustrating for everyone but hopefully easily resolved.

CiaoMama Sun 30-Oct-16 21:47:22

Oh gosh, balletgirlmum! There's not a chance we would start without seeing these first. It's just setting off on the wrong foot (we had naturally assumed she would have sufficient ID to start this week and she is assuming she'll be working from this week). Thanks all for confirming what I had understood.

Balletgirlmum Sun 30-Oct-16 21:48:42

I work in payroll for a construction firm. It's a pain in the backside but we are a high risk industry too.

nannynick Sun 30-Oct-16 22:08:28

Could you email her this guide so that she knows what documents you need? www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/536953/An_Employer_s_guide_to_right_to_work_checks_-_July_16.pdf

Just looked at my own ID documents and I don't have a birth certificate acceptable, as mine is a short version. If I did not have a passport that would be a problem.

Ofsted registration would have involved a CRB check or a DBS check (depending when the registration was done). As official documents issued by another Government agency, perhaps those along with the driving license (you may need to see photocard and the paper counterpart) would be enough to satisfy UKBA for a few months, so that she can obtain her full birth certificate. Call UKBA tomorrow 9am-5pm 0300 123 4699

Not sure what you can do given that she has no document on List A or List B.

CiaoMama Sun 30-Oct-16 22:21:01

Thanks so much, we'll show her the list of acceptable documents as that is useful to explain. I am sure she is British but that's irrelevant as we need evidence of it anyway! I agree, there's nothing we can do until she can provide a full birth certificate (we've seen evidence of NI number so that part is ok). Thanks for your advice!

CiaoMama Sun 30-Oct-16 22:37:56

Also, a related issue - given she can't start with us until we see these documents, should I assume we wouldn't be expected to pay her until she is able to or backdate her pay for the time she is unable to work due to this? We haven't signed the contract yet. I feel some sympathy in this situation but she was working as part of a nanny share until now with 2 other families so I had assumed she would be able to provide the required documents. Just trying to work out what is reasonable for everyone!

Spam88 Sun 30-Oct-16 22:39:38

I looked into getting a copy of my full birth certificate (without thinking, I'd sent my passport off for renewal just before I had a pre-employment check meeting) and I'm sure they could just provide it on the day if someone went into the office to pick it up, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to get one quickly.

CiaoMama Sun 30-Oct-16 22:41:03

Thanks, Spam88, will look into this tomorrow. Online it seemed to suggest it would take a few days for a certified copy to be delivered. I'm sure there's a way forward and it's not the end of the world!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now