This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Coming home with flea bites from CM's house

(5 Posts)
JimbosJetSet Fri 28-Oct-16 09:02:41

DS has recently started with a new CM and I am pretty sure the itchy spots he has are flea bites (none of our other DCs have them and they don't go to her house, she has cats). We've never had pets - are fleas just one of those things you have to accept if you own pets - should we just put up with it? I'm going to wait another week to see if he gets anymore and to confirm my suspicions before I say anything either way. Thanks!

SpotTheDuck Fri 28-Oct-16 09:17:22

No, definitely not. We had cats and they did periodically catch fleas but as soon as you see any sign of it you dose them in flea powder, put on anti-flea collars, wash stuff etc etc.

It's a hassle, but it's better than just putting up with bites.

In your shoes I'd call or text the CM and say you've noticed your boy has flea bites, you can only think it's come from her cats so you're letting her know so she can treat them.

If she doesn't seem bothered or if it happens again id be looking for different childcare.

Flea bites are itchy and nasty, and if children scratch them they can get infected (esp as young children are often picking stuff up from the floor etc so may not have clean hands)

JimbosJetSet Fri 28-Oct-16 10:26:16

Many thanks Spot, I will contact her then, you have reassured me that I'm not being precious about it!

SpotTheDuck Fri 28-Oct-16 15:22:34

Not precious, just sensible! Agree it's hard to know what's normal if you don't have pets, but I def wouldn't expect to put up with fleas

longdiling Fri 28-Oct-16 19:14:45

This is my worst nightmare as a cat owning childminder! I would be mortified. I have to show my inspector that I have given flea and worm treatments monthly and carry out various cat risk assessments so this definitely isn't something you should put up with. I pay a small fortune monthly for the best possible vet prescribed flea treatments to avoid this scenario!

Definitely speak to her about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now