This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

part time childcare

(3 Posts)
user1477424685 Tue 25-Oct-16 22:26:07

Hello
I am interested in other's experience in the following. Has anyone ever found a childcarer who would pick children up from school and take them home (to the children's home) give them tea and look after them until the mother gets home? I would be interested to hear if anyone has found someone who would do this and about how much they paid.
My daughter is thinking of returning to full time study and her 3 children will need this type of care.
thank you for your input

thisgirlrides Tue 25-Oct-16 22:43:53

This is a nanny or if they can accommodate live-in, au pair role. nanny for younger children, higher levels of supervision, additional (child-related!) chores such as cooking, laundry, homework supervision but au pair (considerably cheaper) may suffice for collection from school, giving simple/rehearing meal, ferrying kids around to clubs & babysitting.

JoJoSM2 Wed 26-Oct-16 00:32:02

The position you describe is called an after school nanny. Often it is combined with long hours in the holidays when the parents are at work. Don't know where you live but in London it'd be £12/h+(gross). Elsewhere, it would be less.
If you were to consider the au-pair option, you'd need to bear in mind that in addition to her pocket money, you'd need to provide accommodation and food but she could do 25h/week. Personally, I think that managing 3 children could be a bit challenging for a 20yo au pair, though,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now