This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding Blog Policy?

(11 Posts)
Elbekind Sat 22-Oct-16 09:47:18

Hi everyone,
I've recently started up a blog where I post each day what the children have done with some pics. The pics usually have all the children in, the blog is password protected and I add each parent to the blog so that they can access it.
I'd like to create a new policy regarding the blog, but I'm a bit unsure of what to put in it. Obviously parent's won't be able to take photos off the blog if there are any other children in the photo, but I'm not quite sure how to phrase it. I also want to mention the importance of not sharing the password etc with friends and family, things like that but I'm not really sure where to start!
Does anyone have anything similar or have a policy on it? Or can anyone think of any potential problems or things I need to cover in the policy?
Thanks so much for any help.
I also want to mention the blog won't contain any personal information about the children, just 'Here is X playing at the park' sort of stuff.

HSMMaCM Sat 22-Oct-16 10:01:24

I don't do this, but can you just write everything you here written in your OP and get parents to sign it. Maybe something about what happens when a child leaves and something about parents who don't want their children included in the blog. There will be parents who don't want their child's photo online at all.

Elbekind Sat 22-Oct-16 10:12:29

Yes that is a good idea. I will make sure parent's are aware that they can opt out.
I'm not really sure what I would do R.E children leaving.. maybe every 100 posts we delete the previous 100? If I were to delete all posts containing a child that has left my care I would probably be deleting the entire blog if it were a full time child, IYSWIM?

GeekyWombat Sat 22-Oct-16 10:28:08

Our nursery has a photo gallery thing and in the monthly newsletter / invoice we get a password for the blog. It changed every month, and the blogs are deleted after three months. It might be faff changing it every month, but maybe changing it every three months or so might help?

HSMMaCM Sat 22-Oct-16 11:02:22

You could maybe put that the photos would remain on the blog for X amount of months and the password would be changed every time someone leaves ?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 22-Oct-16 11:05:35

Have you run this past your insurance?

Password protection is very easy to break, you're still putting the photos online where they could be indexed, you can't stop parents or anyone else screenshotting or downloading photos. You can make it more difficult but most people can get past that these days. You'll want really good legal cover just incase and I expect they'll provide both the permission slips and the wording required.

GinAndOnIt Sat 22-Oct-16 11:19:36

Would it not be easier to do a daily blog without showing pictures of faces? So photos of hands playing in sand, lots of feet in muddy puddles, that kind of thing? And then any photos of children's faces doing activities can be printed off and put in an end of year folder for the parents?
It might just be a lot easier. What would you do if half the children's parents say no to the blog, and you have to try and take photos of the other children without X, Y and Z in it. What would you do if the blog was hacked? How would you stop the parents passing on the password to Granny, you could write it in the contract but how much faff is it going to be to actually enforce it?

Elbekind Sat 22-Oct-16 11:41:32

Some great advice from everyone thanks.
The main reason I am doing this is because of the cost of printing off photos. It is true that the blog could be hacked, but unfortunately so could my computer, phone etc.
I have already run the idea past all my parents, who all love the idea and are perfectly happy with it. I'd imagine if I have a parent who doesn't want to be part of the blog, it wouldn't be any more difficult to not include them than it would already be to not get them into photos for the learning journeys.
I use only pics of the children's hands, feet, backs etc when advertising my business but to be honest it isn't really what the parent's want to see. I may as well just give them photos of any child.
I agree and think it's definitely a good idea to speak to my insurers about this.
Regarding family members seeing the blog, that wouldn't really be an issue. It is more to do with them reposting things onto the Internet which they could do anyway if they took photos of the children's learning journeys, so unfortunately I just have to put my faith into the parents there.

HSMMaCM Sat 22-Oct-16 12:02:07

Make sure your ICO registration is up to date.

I store my learning journeys on my laptop (with cloud backup) and email everything to parents, so I don't have to print any photos. Ofsted were happy to look on my laptop rather than at files.

Parents have signed to say they are happy for photos of their children to be included in other children's learning journeys, so they can see them playing with their friends. They have also signed an agreement not to post photos of other children online.

I email everything possible - learning journeys, newsletters, invoices, etc.

Elbekind Sat 22-Oct-16 14:27:44

Yep, ICO registration was done in August.
To be honest I am contemplating doing my learning journeys using Word or something, but the only thing that stopped me was I wasn't sure how the parent feed-back element would work.
I email all my invoices, newsletters and just have the PACEY learning journey books, which I'm not really a fan of. I may use them up and try using email.
If you don't mind me asking, what form do your learning journey take? Do you just draft them onto an email or use microsoft word or something else? Thanks!

HSMMaCM Sat 22-Oct-16 16:13:38

I use word. I put everything onto a table and just have a blank box on the right. When I email them to parents, they can use the blank boxes to add their comments and email back to me. For example, I might say X can walk upstairs with 2 feet on each step, holding the handrail. They reply. That's funny, he runs up and downstairs chasing his brother at home. Or whatever. My observations are dated and theirs tend to be more general.

I update them throughout the term and then email them at the end of term. They are also used for 2 year checks and school transitions. According to the 'rules' I do t have to do as much as I do, but I find it easier just to build them up as I go along, add photos etc and then they can either be sent at the end of term, or earlier if the parents want to take them to a developmental check (or grandparents).

Sometimes I just get a one line reply from parents saying 'This is an accurate assessment of X and agrees with everything we've observed at home'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now