This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much does your Nanny add to your weekly shop?

(6 Posts)
CupOfJoe Fri 14-Oct-16 19:02:43

Hi all,
I'm the Nanny in question here (hello!) and I've started a new Live-Out position, which is novel for me as I'm used to being Live In. It's great, I love it.

I've started weaning with Little One and the parents have given me the login details for their Ocado, with the view that I add his and my food to the weekly shop - all fine.

The parents and I agree that it is good practice for the baby and I to eat meals together - which will mainly be breakfast and lunch. I will feed him his dinner but would like to eat dinner with my OH at home most nights, so dinner will be a solo event.

The parents have been really good, said straight from the start to eat what I want from the cupboards and order stuff from Ocado for myself as Little One is currently still on mush. Moving forward, I aim to eat the same stuff as the baby (again, I think its good practise).

ANYWAY, I'm really really conscious of not taking the piss with this, I'm a pretty anxious person so worry about taking food from the cupboards and am vaguely uncomfortable with ordering any expensive food on the weekly shop. I generally just eat a bit of salad foods at lunchtime at the moment, to keep the food shop down.

The food I buy for the baby is organic so a bit more expensive, and even just for him its working out to be £15ish extra a week and getting more and more.

How much does your Nanny (or you, if you are the Nanny) add to the weekly shop roughly?

The parents are not struggling for money, have never mentioned any negative about the food I buy to me, and their weekly shop is in the 3 figures already - though there never is a lot of food confused

They don't seem to eat much themselves which makes me more conscious of not overordering.

underneaththeash Fri 14-Oct-16 21:28:01

Sounds perfectly acceptable, if you're worried it's not, do a potential menu for the first few weeks and run it by them so there's no surprises.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Fri 14-Oct-16 21:30:45

Sounds like my last job. My bosses were happy to have a bowl of cereal for dinner bit as I was weaning the baby I needed ocado shops. And with free range/fresh foods I was soon setting up a weekly shop I often added £20 off food

Iguessyourestuckwithme Fri 14-Oct-16 21:31:31

And to be honest sometimes I could do a £40 shop (nappies etc) without even considering meals for the adults.

TooPlain Fri 14-Oct-16 21:34:51

Do not worry about this. They have the money, they want the baby fed well and frankly they don't care how much it costs. Don't take the piss, but if everything you buy, you eat, then just get whatever you want.

Artandco Sat 15-Oct-16 20:12:27

Just add what you need. If they already spend £100+ on mainly them two, then surely they will expect up to the same again for another two people?
For a baby/toddler and another adult eating at least 10 meals, all organic, I would say £30-40 ontop would be perfectly normal. you will also be adding stuff as it runs out from general household likely like clingfilm, baby shampoo, baking ingredients etc. So I would say up to £50 is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now