This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Don't use Hampstead Au Pair agency!!!

(9 Posts)
tiffany2307 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:19:53

This agency called me for a reference for our current au pair who has been a disaster and was not interested at all in asking about her weaknesses and only asked about strengths. Not balanced at all and clearly just trying to shift on as many au pairs as they can!!

fittedcupboard Tue 27-Sep-16 22:46:18

To be fair though anyone who accepts a reference from an agency and doesn't call to speak to you direct is an idiot and shouldn't be an employer. Surely everyone knows that the most important things aren't said on paper?

HeyNannyNanny Wed 28-Sep-16 09:31:11

Isn't it illegal to give a bad reference for an employee? The worse you can do is be neutral and people read between the lines

Karoleann Wed 28-Sep-16 09:49:49

Hey - not at all, you just need to be truthful.

PurpleDaisies Wed 28-Sep-16 09:51:40

Isn't it illegal to give a bad reference for an employee? The worse you can do is be neutral and people read between the lines
That's a myth. As long as you're factual, you can say what you like.

fastdaytears Wed 28-Sep-16 09:57:39

I think the confusion is that a lot of companies don't want to take the risk so won't let anyone give a bad reference.

But in this case surely the prospective employers would want to talk to you directly?

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 28-Sep-16 16:08:30

As an ex-employer where an agency is looking to create a good reference I always say ' I confirm that X worked for me between a and B'.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 28-Sep-16 16:09:06

Obviously when I feel it is not going to be balanced.

Rattusn Wed 28-Sep-16 22:59:50

It's not illegal to give a bad reference, but it leaves those responsible for giving the bad reference open to litigation is the person the reference is about feels that the reference is unjust, and the referee cannot prove what is within the reference.

General advice is to just confirm dates of employment and pay, rather than give a bad reference.

This is why I don't use au pair agencies, as I would far prefer to do the background checks myself. Interestingly though, the au pair I got the worst reference for, has been the best (and vise versa is also true).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now