This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nursery

(13 Posts)
user1474999721 Tue 27-Sep-16 19:10:44

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me or give me some advice as I'm getting a tad bit stressed with a situation i'm going through at the moment.
I recently started working in a nursery, I'm currently Level 1 qualified in child care and doing my Level 2. I'm properly employed, not an apprenticeship or anything like that.

I'm a little confused as recently some of the staff have mentioned that I probably wont be on the minimum wage as i'm not 22 yet. I'm actually 21 and i've checked a hundred times on the internet and the gov website saids its £6.70 per hour from the ages of 21 up to 24.
From what I know I should be getting 6.70 per hour but some off the nursery staff have said I will probably be on less, probably £5.30 per hour as that's what you get when you're aged between 18-20.

A lot of people have said it will probably go up when I turn 22 but surely if it saids 21-24 then that's what it should be? Are they breaking the law if they don't pay me the proper wage? I just want to know where I stand as the manager herself can't even give me a proper answer about it.
My friend was 20 when she started working in KFC and the day she turned 21 her wage went up. Surely it should be the same for me or maybe things are different in a nursery?

I get paid in 3 weeks so I will wait until I get my payslip and see what the hourly rate saids. It's starting to bug me now though and I just wanted to see what other people think.

Thank you

nannynick Tue 27-Sep-16 19:48:35

You should know from your contract how much you are going to be paid - does it not say?

As you are in training, you may be considered to be an apprentice, though you say that you are not, so you surely would get at least National Minimum Wage based on your age. As you are 21 that is £6.70 and from 1st October 2016 it goes up to £6.95
See ACAS: National Minimum Wage
You can call ACAS Helpline for advice, their opening hours vary... they are open Saturday mornings and some weekday evenings.

insancerre Tue 27-Sep-16 19:57:54

If you are an apprentice you are probably on £3.30 an hour
You say you aren't an apprentice but you can be employed and be an apprentice
What does your contract say?

user1474999721 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:17:14

Hello, I have to work 12 weeks before I receive a contract, it's like a trial so I won't know my hourly rate until I get my payslip in 2-3 weeks time.

It's definitely not an apprenticeship as It was just a normal job, I was actually the one who asked if I could do my Level 2 whilst working here because I could receive the funding and they were happy for me to do it.

In the interview the manager even said it was minimum wage so I'm just not sure what everyone's talking about! I guess I won't know until I receive my payslip.

Thank you for you're message x

user1474999721 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:18:45

No one has mentioned anything about an apprenticeship and when they advertised the job title was "Nursery nurse assistant" not a "trainee" or anything so it's definitely just a normal job x

insancerre Tue 27-Sep-16 20:30:39

So you should be on £6.70 then

user1474999721 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:32:17

That's what I think lol but the other staff members have made me think twice now and with the manager not being able to give me a proper answer is not helping either :/ x

insancerre Tue 27-Sep-16 20:34:19

I'm a nursery manager. I know what all my staff are on
Your manager can find out, just ask her

user1474999721 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:36:53

I've asked her twice now so I don't really want to keep on pushing so to speak as I know she's really busy. I think i'll just have to see what my payslip saids in a few weeks and then ask if it's not the rate I thought it would be. Thank you for all you're messages and help X

Karoleann Tue 27-Sep-16 22:18:38

You should ring the ACAS helpline 0300 123 1100.
You should be paid from the time you turn 21.

insancerre Wed 28-Sep-16 16:54:18

Ask her again
She's the manager and its her job to manage the staff, that includes their wages
Just ask in passing, " did you manage to find out my hourly rate?, or is there someone I can ring?"

RedElephants Thu 13-Oct-16 20:39:27

insancerre I would love to work for you!!
Unfortunately not all 'managers' are as clued up as you!!
Some managers have NO idea how to manage their staff.. esp when Wages etc actually not just wages, anything are concerned!!

RedElephants Thu 13-Oct-16 20:42:12

excuse bad grammar etc,
worked some really long hours recently, one job running into another, no proper coffee or lunch breaks ie all with the children..
am a little Pee,d off to say the least..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now