This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New Au pair... Time for a discussion

(8 Posts)
hannah1977 Wed 21-Sep-16 06:45:43

Two weeks ago we welcomed our second au pair... Our first was brilliant but I adjusted my expectations again... But this one has reached new lows!

He is 18 and I think probably just clueless if not a bit lazy...

Yesterday he brought kids home from school, put TV on and slept on sofa. I'd asked him to change two of their beds and prepare baked potatoes for their tea. He has sole charge from school til my do gets home 6pm.

3 hours later ... He'd had a nice sleep, laundry was damp in tumble dryer and he'd baked sweet pots instead of the ones labelled "baking pots" that I'd showed him the week before and had fed my daughter lettuce and bananas for tea. No breakfast stuff cleared away.

Is it retrievable?!! We have no issues with hours worked - he will do about 12 per week, paid 60. Only housework I ask for is changing the kids beds.

I also expect if he eats with us to chip in somehow be it helping prepare or clear away, as I would expect any adult. Mmm

Lilaclily Wed 21-Sep-16 06:49:27

Sounds like having another teen in the house isn't working for you, he sounds like my nephew wouldn't have a clue how to cook etc sleeps all day
What experience did he have? What were your grounds for employing him
Did he say he could Cook?

hesterton Wed 21-Sep-16 06:51:14

You need to tell him exactly what you expect of him, including he clears up with you every meal he joins in with eating. And also what you will give him e.g. no bothering him on his down time. In one session, with written notes. Tell him if he can't deliver, he's no use to you and will have to go home. He gets three warnings only.

Stick to it.

hannah1977 Wed 21-Sep-16 06:54:17

He didn't say he could cook. I did kind of think that an 18 yr old would occasionally prepare his own food (sandwich?!) so might know that lettuce and bananas is not ok!

He's distant family... I'm going to write it all down!

Stevefromstevenage Wed 21-Sep-16 06:55:09

No this is not retrievable I don't think. I would look again and give him notice. Mind you if he is this casual during the non notice period I dread to think what the notice period will look like.

TheDowagerCuntess Wed 21-Sep-16 07:09:04

Ah, distant family. There you go.

Not someone who's actually interested in doing the job.

Don't let people come on and say 'if you pay peanuts...', 'what do you expect from a teenager?' because that's not the issue.

Just check in with him again about your expectations.

hannah1977 Wed 21-Sep-16 09:14:07

When the baby (who he doesn't have to look after at any point) saw him this morning he got very excited and burst into waves (rare!!). He is a nice boy just clueless.

Trifleorbust Wed 21-Sep-16 20:17:58

He's not acting like an employee. Do you pay him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now