This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Overnight proxy parenting

(8 Posts)
Confused10439 Mon 12-Sep-16 22:27:12

I am a live in nanny and included in most standard live in nannying contracts is 2 nights babysitting from Monday to Thursday that cannot be accrued. Overnight proxy parenting agreed at £75 a night (7 pm until 7 am.)

I did weekday overnights in the last few weeks - 3 nights, i.e. 2 week nights and a Friday night. That Monday & Tuesday I didn't babysit however. The parents are now saying that because they didn't use their babysitting nights that week they'll use the two week day overnights as their babysitting nights and so don't owe me extra....

AIBU in thinking that this is unfair? That pre arranged proxy parenting overnights and standard babysitting do not overlap? Or are they right?

NuffSaidSam Mon 12-Sep-16 23:11:14

They're right for the normal babysitting hours e.g. if a normal babysit is 7pm-11pm for example then they don't need to pay you from 7pm for the overnight.

You are right about the actual overnight hours, i.e. those that fall outside the babysitting remit.

I theory I would expect £100 to cover the two nights 11pm-7am rather than £150 to cover from 7pm-7am.

In reality though I'd only charge that if the children woke or my sleep was disturbed. If you were able to sleep a full night in your own bed then I'd let it go as a gesture of goodwill (even though technically and contractually I agree that they should pay for the overnight hours).

Confused10439 Mon 12-Sep-16 23:29:36

The baby was awake basically all night all three nights with flu. Which I then got. How would you assume that 7-11 pm is regular babysitting hours? Considering I was responsible for their child if the house went up in flames or because they were awake for a good part of the 12 hours it's unfair to strip me of the whole nights pay? Or not? Is it not that proxy parenting when they are in a different country is proxy parenting and babysitting for a few hours on date night when they close by and able to do the majority of the night is something totally different?

NuffSaidSam Mon 12-Sep-16 23:59:10

'How would you assume that 7-11 pm is regular babysitting hours?'

Well, because those are generally regular babysitting hours. Maybe for you it's 6:30pm-11:30pm or 7pm-10pm or something I don't know exactly, but you do! What are your normal babysitting hours? Take those away from the overnight session is what I'm saying!

Whether it's daytime childcare, babysitting or proxy parenting you are responsible if the house catches fire, so I don't see how that's relevant!

You've asked for opinions and I've given you mine. They are contractually entitled to two nights babysitting. So you did two nights babysitting as per your contract PLUS the overnight hours. You should only be paid for the additional hours, not the babysitting hours that are covered in your contract IMO.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 13-Sep-16 08:27:30

When live in and babysitting is part of salary you must both be clear what it entails

Mon to thur 7/10/11 is more then fair

If they parent doesn't use their 2 nights a week it can not be carried over to use another week

Fri sat and sub are all off limits unless mutually agreed and paid extra

And yes personally an overnight isn't the same as a babysit

Tho puzzled how /why you didn't babysit /work till the sleepover bit

Were the parents there till 11pm then went out and you did the overnight ?

NuffSaidSam Tue 13-Sep-16 10:10:01

I think she had them from Weds morning until Saturday morning Blondes. That's how I read it.

So she did overnight Weds, Thurs and Fri.

The daytimes are her normal hours.

She then wants the overnight rate to cover 7pm-7am on Weds, Thurs and Fri.

It seems everyone agrees that Friday is paid extra.

But the parents think that the evenings on Weds and Thurs (so maybe 7pm-11pm or similar) should be covered by their babysitting agreement and they only need to pay extra for the additional, not covered in the contract hours i.e. from end of babysitting (maybe 11pm?) until 7am.

OP disagrees that the evening session is covered by her 'two babysits' arrangement and wants the additional pay for these hours.

That's what I've understood from the OP, but it's not the clearest post!

swlondonnanny Tue 13-Sep-16 14:32:14

Sam I actually think they don't want to pay her for Wed and Thu nights as they were her 'babysitting' nights. Might be reading it wrong though...

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 13-Sep-16 15:54:39

I'm confused - doesn't take much at the mo 😁😁

Op you need to clarify what nights you worked

If was wed and thur then I would take that as babysitting and then be paid 11-7 sleepover fee but not the £75

You need to work out a fixed price overnight minus bs rate

Tho 75 is cheap if children wake up/I'll etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now