This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Babysitter needed - would you phone local nurseries?

(9 Posts)
Kflori Fri 09-Sep-16 14:11:33

Just a general question - I am a single mum with two DD's, both at school (P2 and P3). There is no family near and their dad for various reasons is not in the picture at all - plus I don't really want to exhaust my friends by asking to babysit very often...
I was thinking of phoning the local nurseries, to see if any nursery teachers maybe occasionally would like to babysit (this would be evenings/weekends), as I figured that way I would be sure they are checked, most of them are lovely and both my DD's absolutely adored their nursery teachers. They have however been out of nursery for a while now, and I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to just phone the nursery itself and ask??? Has anybody ever done this before? Any other suggestions would be highly welcome as well!

greenfolder Fri 09-Sep-16 14:12:51

i use the sitters agency. They only take people who are in jobs where they have to be CRB checked. Had some nice sitters

Kflori Fri 09-Sep-16 14:23:49

Thanks greenfolder, maybe I should do that instead :-]

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 09-Sep-16 14:24:42

I think it's a good idea. DS only goes to Creche but it's an OFSTED outstanding one and the ladies there do babysitting too.

Karoleann Fri 09-Sep-16 19:34:21

No, I wouldn't phone the nursery, but would also recommend using sitters.

Audreyhelp Sat 10-Sep-16 00:02:10

I would recommend sitters but al, their sitters are not police checked.
Although they do check out references.

insancerre Sat 10-Sep-16 08:06:47

I'm a nursery manager and if you phoned me I would pass your number on to any of my staff who were interested

Some of them do babysitting for our parents in their spare time

Its a good idea as my staff are all highly qualified, very experienced, first aid trained, have enhanced dB's and are all trained in safeguarding

Give it a try. The worst that can happen is that they say no. But you might find your very own Mary Poppins

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 10-Sep-16 16:25:13

Google nanny agencies in your area

Or maybe say your area on here and may be qualified nannies on mn near you

Contact tinies or sitters. Both are nationalwide agencies

NooNooMummy Wed 14-Sep-16 12:08:25

I'm in a similar situation. I think you should try approaching the nursery. Nursery staff at my daughter's nursery were happy to give me their numbers and said that the nursery is happy for them to do babysitting g in their own time. I'm gong to use one of the staff who my daughter really loves - I'm hoping that it'll be easier than trying to get used to someone she doesn't know.

Now I've just got to find out what the usual hourly rate etc etc etc is. Never used a babysitter before!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now