This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder and Jury Service

(7 Posts)
Eastie77 Thu 08-Sep-16 23:22:27

Question for any childminders who have been called up for jury service: did you expect to be paid in full while you were on JS?

Alternatively, were you able to be excused from serving for any reason?

Thanks
Eastie

doctoratsea Fri 09-Sep-16 08:48:26

Normally you make an application for payment via the courts for loss of earnings, see www.gov.uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim

JacquettaWoodville Fri 09-Sep-16 20:17:59

I used a CM in the past and would not expect to pay if the service was unavailable as I would have to pay an alternate as well. What do your t&c say about eg days you are ill or that you take holiday?

Maryann1975 Fri 09-Sep-16 20:22:15

I know a cm in town who was called for jury service and the courts reimbursed her loss of earnings for the two weeks (I think) that she took off to be available for the jury.
I wouldn't expect parents to pay me for this time as my terms and conditions state that I won't charge for my own time off.

Eastie77 Sat 10-Sep-16 07:33:40

Thank you. Our CM has confirmed she does not expect us to pay during JS but she is worried she will not be able to claim all of her lost earnings. I'll send her the link doctoratsea

lotusbiscuit Tue 13-Sep-16 19:05:48

I'm sure she'd be excused if she asked (though might be too late now)

Eastie77 Fri 16-Sep-16 11:22:14

She has asked to be excused and is waiting to find out the outcome. The worst case scenario is she has to do it and the case drags on for weeks..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now