This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted registration for nanny - who pays for what

(11 Posts)
sarahnova69 Wed 31-Aug-16 09:56:29

Got some previous good advice here on finding a share and where to hire.

Found a good nanny now - we've decided to offer the job to an experienced nanny who isn't Ofsted registered, but has her First Aid, DBS, etc. I know the convention in this circumstance is that the employer pays the Ofsted fee, and we are also prepared to pay for the Common Core Skills course if she needs it. But thereafter, is the convention that the nanny pays for maintaining Ofsted? I would expect her to pay for maintaining her public liability insurance and renewing her DBS and First Aid, as required and would like to ensure this is all clear in her contract.

Second of all, is it fair and reasonable to state in her contract that we would like her to begin Ofsted reg within a month, and have taken all reasonable steps to complete it by the end of the year?

Thanks all!

meggleshs Wed 31-Aug-16 10:51:37

I am in the same situation - previous nanny came with her registration valid, so all I paid for was annual renewal.

However, this nanny is an ex-primary school teacher. We agreed that any qualifications that would benefit her she would pay for, and vice versa.

So - I paid for (or reimbursed for) registration fee, any childcare course (in her case she didn't need), and DBS
She pays for insurance, first aid.

I have a clause in her contract that she will apply within 6 weeks of starting (due to when first aid course is)

I'm not sure there is a definitive way of doing this, but we both agreed this was fair. Good luck!

Cindy34 Wed 31-Aug-16 12:34:57

Registration only benefits you, though there is an argument that without it a nanny may not be able to get a job.

If their DBS is not on the Update Service then they will need a new one and have it registered on the update service. New check is around £53 and update service is £13 per year.

Reasonable for them to maintain their first aid, insurance.

Common Core is only needed if they don't have childcare training at Level2 or above. If they are unqualified then the salary you are offering probably takes that in account, so you paying for the Common Core would be reasonable.

If nanny leaves your employment in first 6 months through their choice, you can make it a condition that training and registration fees are paid back to you.

You can say that they need to make an effort to start the registration process but it can take many months, so a specific cut off date may not work.

fashionqueen1183 Sat 17-Sep-16 19:03:23

All my nanny families have paid for my Ofsted renewals. As a nanny there is no benefit to me being registered, it is only so parents can use childcare vouchers. The cost of renewal is the same as it is when you start it.
One of my families gave me money for my insurance. Other times I have paid it myself. I have always paid for my First aid.
DBS used to be included in the fee, but now its not, I wouldn't mind paying to renew my DBS. Although most employers pay for their employee's DBS thinking about it now..I don't know why it seems to be different with nannying.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 18-Sep-16 21:34:52

I feel the employer should pay the ofsted cost

And the nanny should have is takes job seriously /professional - first aid - quals - Dbs and pli anyway

It is of no benifit for the nanny to become ofsted reg

NannyR Sun 18-Sep-16 21:55:53

My employer pays for the renewal - as previous posters have said, its the employer who benefits from me being ofsted registered. I pay for my insurance and would be happy to pay for my first aid as it is something I would keep up to date regardless of whether I was ofsted registered or not, but my employer kindly offers to pay for it.

nannynick Sun 18-Sep-16 21:57:07

Is having a job not a benefit to the nanny of being Ofsted registered?
If nannies can get jobs without needing to be registered and if the job is not advertised as needing a nanny who is registered, then I feel it is fair that the parents pay the cost as they are deciding to add that condition on.

If the job is advertised as Ofsted registration being a requirement, then I feel it is something the nanny should have prior to starting the job and thus up to the nanny to pay.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 18-Sep-16 22:51:21

But why should the nanny have to pay £103+ so that her employer can claim vouchers and pay less tax

Why should the nanny be out of pocket?

Tho agree if employer pay if the nanny leaves within say 3mths that the nanny should pay half the cost back

I have never not got a nanny job because I am not ofsted reg

If the family want an ofsted nanny. They should pay

You and I will always disagree on this nick 😉

fashionqueen1183 Sun 18-Sep-16 22:51:27

Just to add don't bother about writing in dates in the contract as Ofsted can take ages. As long as she's filled in the forms it's really down to them! Beauracratic nightmare that they are smile
I have seen some jobs or been offered or taken jobs where the family wanted the nanny to become ofsted registered, but they still paid.

Audreyhelp Mon 19-Sep-16 10:11:52

I am with blondes there is no advantage to the nanny to be ofsted registered. As most Nannys are employed I don't really see why they have to pay first aid or insurance either.
Having said all this I pay all mine as not brave enough to ask my employer.

I pay for ofsted registration and first aid updates as that is something that I need the nanny to have. However my understanding of the insurance is that there would be a conflict of interest if I paid it? Not sure how true that is on reflection now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now