This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do I pay my nanny for the bank holiday when she isn't working that day.

(10 Posts)
LegstarPegstar Mon 22-Aug-16 11:08:19

Her normal days are Monday and Tuesday. Do I need to pay her for Monday next week as it's bank holiday and I will be home so don't need her.

I find this stuff all so confusing!

Thanks

FuzzyOwl Mon 22-Aug-16 11:09:15

What does your contract with her say?

jellycat1 Mon 22-Aug-16 11:12:08

Our nanny has a contract which includes bank holidays as part of her holiday entitlement but she's full time so don't know if that makes a difference. Can you ask your payroll provider? Ours did the contract for us.

PotOfYoghurt Mon 22-Aug-16 11:13:03

Most likely, yes. You still get paid for your bank holiday I presume?

NannyR Mon 22-Aug-16 11:13:40

If she is contracted to work on Monday and you decide you don't need her to come in, you still need to pay her.

Lunde Mon 22-Aug-16 11:14:46

Most contracts include bank holidays as paid holiday time

doctoratsea Mon 22-Aug-16 13:55:40

See here www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

nannynick Mon 22-Aug-16 15:11:42

Yes. Bank holidays would be part of paid annual leave.

nannynick Mon 22-Aug-16 15:14:58

Working 2 days per week they would get 11.2 days holiday minimum. As they work Monday's a lot of their holiday entitlement will be used by bank holidays.

This year, Tuesday 27 Dec is also a bank holiday so would also come out of their 11.2 days paid holiday entitlement assuming you don't want them to physically work that day.

Karoleann Mon 22-Aug-16 19:39:57

Some of the advice above is not correct. It completely depends on her contract. If it only states number of days of annual leave and does not bank holidays as part of it, then its up to both of you.

She/you can either chose to take it as one of her or your holiday dates or she can chose to come in to work. However if you decide that neither of you wants it as one of your dates (assuming that you have a 50/50 split) then you must pay her. It really should have been discussed before now though, its a bit late for you to give her holiday.

As nanynick says - as she only works Monday and Tuesday a lot of her holiday allowance will be taken up by bank holidays, I'd suggest sitting down and asking her how she'd like her 12 day holiday allowance to be used up. It may be that she'd rather take some of the bank holidays as unpaid leave and keep some for weekly holidays, or she may be happy as things stand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now