This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Experiences using Gumtree to find a nanny?

(16 Posts)
Nickname1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 22:38:37

Hello!

I've used Gumtree to rent a flat out before and - after digging through a lot of strange responses - it's been fine. But I am not sure how good it is for finding childcare.

Any experiences?

I obviously want to find someone amazing (who doesn't?!) but awkward hours so am struggling via traditional routes like nanny agencies.

NuffSaidSam Fri 19-Aug-16 23:20:05

I've found a couple of jobs through Gumtree and I'm amazing wink.

The first one I had to leave because I moved away. The second I was there for 10 years. They both always give me great references, so I assume they were happy they found me!

I think you will get lots of mad responses in between the good ones though.

Have you tried childcare.co.uk?

Akire Fri 19-Aug-16 23:24:33

It's a job site among other things so go for it. It's cheaper than using agencies or advertising yourself. Worse case is you pay the £35 and you get no one decent.

Just be clear if you only want someone who qualified and experienced etc state this.

Nickname1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 23:26:07

Haha! Ooh that's good to hear, NuffSaid. i feel encouraged to give it a go!

I have updated my profile on Childcare.co.uk and subscribed for the Gold membership, but no one has messaged. I think it's more parents approach nannies rather than nannies approach parents, right? I couldn't find a way that I could actually post an ad... But the hours I'm looking for are a bit awkward. I'm expecting to find it hard to find anyone!

Nickname1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 23:31:54

Thanks Akire! I am v tempted to give it a go. I've already bumped up my childcare.co.uk membership so paying for both could end up expensive and fruitless... Or fruitful! Worth trying maybe???

Any tips on what to look for via Gumtree applicants? The childcare.co.uk site makes the people all seem quite pro as they're rated with pictures and descriptions and so on. I am so new to all of this!

Would love to hear more experiences, too.

NuffSaidSam Fri 19-Aug-16 23:40:25

On Childcare.co.uk your profile is also your ad so make sure you put the hours you need on there.

Generally parents' message nannies, but I have messaged parents before now.

Have a look through the nannies local to you and send some messages out.

Nickname1980 Sat 20-Aug-16 09:33:39

Fab thanks NuffSaid, I will have a browse this morning.

Anyone else with Gumtree experience?

Akire Sat 20-Aug-16 09:43:33

I'm a Disabled adult who uses it to recruit carers, because like you agencies cost a lot and not necessary find you what you want. I always put clear information on advert and what you want in return. Ie I ask for C V and tell me a little about your selfs.

Yes you get people who don't met your needs just sending C V and nothing else in the end I didn't bother reading them. I would contact maybe 8 you get say 4 come to interview then check references and so on if you found someone you liked.

just be very clear if they must have X experience or live close or be a non smoker state this. I didn't used to appear to picky but actually bybthevtinevuoubinterview it's frustrating to like someone who then dosnt met what you are after.

Akire Sat 20-Aug-16 09:45:17

* by the time you interview ! Also this time of year plenty of new nannies and college students want jobs and will be actively on the site

Karoleann Sun 21-Aug-16 08:38:57

All our nannies in London (and one outside) were recruited through gumtree (although that was 3 years ago now as we've moved onto having au pairs).

We did get a lot of really unsuitable people applying, but generally had a good pool of suitable applicants to choose from.

What hours are you looking for and are you in London?

sarahnova69 Wed 31-Aug-16 09:52:28

I just hired a nanny and got better applicants (and more) through Gumtree than childcare.co.uk or even nannyjob.

user1471258886 Sat 03-Sep-16 13:44:50

I did post an ad on gumtree and netmums and got all irrelevant responses. I was looking for an after school nanny and a gardener messaged me! I guess I will pay for the childcare.co.uk gold membership hoping for some luck! I am kind of desperate now sad

ChablisTyrant Sat 03-Sep-16 13:49:29

We also got out first nanny in London through gumtree.

sarahnova69 Sat 03-Sep-16 15:01:51

I think after school childcare can be a different beasy unfortunately, as most 'professional' nannies are looking for FT or close to FT hours. I did get a few random applicants, but the majority were experienced nannies. Who are you targeting? With only after school hours you may need to look at an au pair/share arrangement of some kind/local student? A local facebook group, or contacting a local college that offers childcare programmes, may work better? (I can't speak from experience here, I'm still in the preschool stage.)

mouldycheesefan Sat 03-Sep-16 15:04:05

Make sure you fully reference and crb check anyone from gumtree, just thinking of that awful care a few years ago.

user1471258886 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:58:27

thanks sarahnova69
I am facing difficulty in finding some after school care for sure.

Does anyone here know how to contact colleges in the area to find local childcare?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now