This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Which nanny/childminder is best?

(20 Posts)
Hope34 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:26:02

Hello

I am currently looking for a nanny/childminder, and its been difficult in the area we live(suburb of large city). I have a few prospective candidates and would value your opinions...

1. 20 year old, no experience, but have done a one year childcare course to mind in my home
2. 30 year old, previous experience several years ago, has one reference, is looking for details of second reference, may need to bring her 9 year old son some days. Left last job due to standing long hours and back problems.To mind in our home.

Childminders...ie minding in their homes
3. Experienced childminder, has a dog, and minds 4 other children 9 years-1 year part time also
4.Childminder, has a dog, no experience, no references, has 4 year old son, and job would entail minding in her home.
5. Mother at the school, has 2 children, ages 4 and 1, no previous experience ....references...how do I ask?Very nice person and my children get on well with her child however I feel caring for 2 4year olds, a 3 year old and a baby would be too much?

I only mention the dogs as they have said its been an issue with some parents.Not the dogs, just the fact there is one present. Not a deal breaker for me.

All are asking for £10 per hour

Thank you for your advice.

soundsystem Fri 19-Aug-16 15:32:54

To be honest, none of those are jumping out at me. But of them I'd go for number 3, the experienced child-minder.

I'd rule out no. 1, who has no practical experience.

Number 2, with a bad back and trouble standing, might not be well-suited to younger children (I think from what you've written yours are 3 and 4, is that right?), and she doesn't have recent experience.

No. 4 with no references and no experience wouldn't be for me.

salsamad Fri 19-Aug-16 15:57:09

I think I might be inclined to consider the 20 yr old - providing she has some references from a previous part time job or her college course.
As she has completed a years course it's obvious child care is something she wants to do. I think she will have the energy and enthusiasm to care for 3 young children. As your youngest is over 1yr her lack of experience with babies shouldn't be too concerning.
Having a nanny in your home can make life easier for yourself - with no drop off/pick up required. Also a Nanny would probably be happy to care for children who are feeling unwell - a childminder would not due to other children in her care. Obviously though there are more cost implications with a Nanny - tax and Nat Ins, holiday pay etc, where as a child minder is usually self employed.
I would interview any nanny candidates thoroughly and introduce them to your children and your partner at the interview. Ask them to make up a weeks routine with ideas for trips and activities and maybe a menu plan for the week too. Get them them to bring the plans to the interview so you can discuss it. Ask what they feel their weaknesses are - the 20 yr old may not be experienced in healthy cooking for young children. If the interview goes well you could suggest for them to have a trial afternoon with your children with you present.
I would have some concerns re the 30 yr old with back problems as you will need someone who is fit and capable of picking up/carrying the younger children etc.
I would have concerns about anyone who I did not know who could not provide references.

NickNacks Fri 19-Aug-16 16:00:01

4&5 aren't childminders by the sounds of it?!

Hope34 Fri 19-Aug-16 16:11:00

Hello

Thank you all. By the way I should have said I have 2 children age 3 and 4.

3. 4. and 5. are childminders, minding in their home.

4. and 5., have no previous experience.

Yes i agree about No 2 , 4.I can't start a new job and be off due to nanny on sick leave, as I have no emergency back up..... I just can't believe people are asking so much with no experience and no references

A childminder with 5 children to care for...this is too much as one is a baby, but 2 of the 8 year olds are only present for 2 days?? Its a 'no' isn't it...

SisterViktorine Fri 19-Aug-16 16:22:01

I think I would go for no. 1 if you like her at interview and she gets good references from her course leader.

nannynick Fri 19-Aug-16 16:52:53

Experienced childminders are used to caring for lots of children at the same time. They can have up to 6 children under age 8. How many of the children would be under full-time school age?

What hours are you talking - 8am-6pm Monday-Friday? A full-time nanny is very costly, a childminder will usually be a little lower in cost. At the moment you don't seem to be comparing like with like, as the salary a nanny wants to earn (are the figures given gross, or net?) are not the full cost to you as the employer. Whereas with a childminder, their fee may be fully inclusive, or it may not - you need to establish what their fee does and does not include.

Hope34 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:26:38

Hello
Thank you all, and Nannynick

For the Nanny, its £10 Gross per hour. Lots of queries wanted 'cash in hand" , and were not interested when I said I would be doing it officially.

That is good to know about the childminding. The lady sounded very professional, and cares for a 9 year old after school, a baby(part time, and 2 x 8 year olds 2 days per week. I shall meet her this weekend.

What would you expect to pay a childminder in this situation, and also a nanny following a childcare course with no experience?

( I am also a little worried she didn't suggest her course tutor or her work experience supervisor as a reference)

Hope34 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:27:58

Sorry forgot to add the hours...2pm-6pm , Monday to Friday

nannynick Fri 19-Aug-16 17:42:17

The childcare course may have been online... or was it definitely a college course? Courses tend to include practical placement, so would expect a reference being available from someone. Someone starting off as a nanny could well be paid £8 gross. I doubt many would accept NMW but £8 gross is pretty good for a first job... I was earning that 10 years ago.

2pm-6pm is not that attractive to many nannies, they tend to want to earn more than they would in a part-time role like that. So good that you have had some people interested but I would wonder what they would do the rest of the time.

Visit the childminder - are they already collecting from the school your 4 year old will attend?

Dozer Fri 19-Aug-16 17:45:31

Neither nanny would appeal to me. Suggest you take into account the additional costs (eg annual leave, national insurance, tax, utility bills) and all the employer responsibilities with nannies.

Hope34 Fri 19-Aug-16 18:13:03

Thank you Nannynick and Doser

I did question the newly qualified nanny about part time hours and she said she was fine with this hmm

The experienced childminder, would have the 8 and nine year old to collect at 3, so I shall check how that would work with my children to pick up earlier

Thats interesting re. £8 per hour, my friend who is a montessori teacher did think it was a bit cheeky asking for £10(she actually asked for £10-12), as she has completed a one year course. It wasn't online it was in a local college. She was a nice girl however I was worried she would up and leave for a full time job....I wouldn't blame her..

Maryann1975 Fri 19-Aug-16 20:05:07

Are the Childminders registered (are you in England?). A couple of things you have said have made me question if they are registered (can use childcare vouchers/tax credits to pay them, they will be checked by ofsted and have dds checks, first aid qualifications and be up to date on safeguarding/child development. Childminders normally come in cheaper than nannies too. (Although you could be quoting £10 as on £5 per child?).
Neither of the nannies jump out at me though.

Hope34 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:30:50

Hello Maryann
I am not in England. Childminders do not need to be registered. I am really flummoxed that people apply for jobs without a CV and references and think this is acceptable. I feel I am asking the earth if they have police clearance and first aid.........when I went to see one of the childminders this week, the minute the kids came in she put them in front of the TV, and was surprised that I limit the amount of TV and devices(iPad) to the weekend only for a short time....I must be a strict parent but I love doing crafts, going to the park and sea(across the road) hmm

I don't mind paying up to £12 per hour(£8-10 is normal for the area, for 2-3 children), if the person has experience and good references. I get the impression that the childminders are not declaring their payments to revenue, however not my circus not my monkeys(learnt that gem of a saying from Mumsnetgrin)

Nan0second Fri 19-Aug-16 21:38:00

Number 3 is the only one I would consider to be honest...

Maryann1975 Sat 20-Aug-16 10:39:04

Number three then. I have seven children most days (before and after school) between six months and 10, three of them under 4. I'm experienced and the children generally get an outing each day and a craft/activity gets done in the afternoon around nap and feed times. I've been minding for 10 years and it comes naturally now. So, don't be put off by lots of children. (Please don't tell me it was number three that put the tv on?). People moan about childcare being so regulated in England, but honestly I think your examples here show why it is so important that it is.

nannynick Sat 20-Aug-16 14:22:55

If there is no regulation of childcare then not that surprising that anyone feels they can do the work. Though YANBU to expect a CV to show evidence of past experience, unless they have no past experience and this is their first job - in which case salary should reflect that.

Hope34 Sat 20-Aug-16 17:27:35

Hello
No, the professional Childminder did not put the TV on, it was No. 2 , with previous experience 4 years ago but can't give me references from the parents of these children. She minded 2 children, she told me by accident after initially saying she minded only 1 child.

She was surprised when I said no TV, and was glad I told herhmm

I am getting the impression some people don't want to work, as even a part time job was too much and they want an easy "cash in hand job", whilst my kids watch TV all afternoon and I can't get them to bed on time because they are wired from staring at screens all afternoon.....I am frazzled, sorry for the rant...

Fingers crossed the professional childminder, I visit will be appropriate. She sounded professional on the phone and was prompt texting her details, and at least I can ask for references, as the parents of the other children should be able to provide them

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 21-Aug-16 09:02:05

I would give 1 a chance. She is newly qualified so speak to her tutor - that's how I got my first nanny job as Obv didn't have any refs

She may be able to give 2 character references as well

Everyone has to start aomewhere and as your children are older don't worry about no experience /babies

Or no 3 and she will be used to lots of children. If you have a 4yr will be be at school in sept and can cm pick up from that school?

Hope34 Mon 22-Aug-16 23:26:00

Hello

Thank you all.

No 1, had only a babysitting reference, not course tutor, or work experience supervisor.

No.3 , we have met and was wonderful. Very experienced, warm friendly and 2 great references.

So thank you all for your great advice ...you were right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now