This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would I find a nanny willing to work these hours?

(12 Posts)
Nickname1980 Mon 15-Aug-16 22:47:42

Hello!

I'm considering looking for a part-time nanny to help with my 3 DCs. It would only be from approx 4-7pm, Monday-Friday. I work for myself so could do with a bit of extra help while I get a little bit of work done, plus school and nursery pickups (a drive away), and help with bedtime. By the time the nanny would start, I'd have one DC in primary, one in nursery, and one very tiny baby.

I'm guessing not many nannies would want to work those hours... Au pairs, etc, aren't possible because we just don't have the space.

We're based in London.

What do you think? And where would I advertise? I would prefer someone experienced, rather than someone studying on a childcare course.

calamityjam Mon 15-Aug-16 22:59:08

Try a local college. I am doing a degree in working with children, families and young people. My hours are 9.30-12.30, so this would be a perfect job for me. I am also 40, most of my cohort are 25 and older. If I lived in London this would suit me. i am 2nd year so already have a HNC. I am sure if you asked at local college/uni you could find someone.

calamityjam Mon 15-Aug-16 23:01:48

I should also mention that as this is a popular degree course most have children of their own and have been working in childcare for years. ( I previously ran a baby room in a nursery and have 4 children).

Akire Mon 15-Aug-16 23:02:40

Would suit a SAHP who wants work in afternoon after other partner is home or student after college? i employs carers I always use gumtree always plenty of responses.

Akire Mon 15-Aug-16 23:12:52

Id also consider offering it as 2 jobs 1x2 1x3 days. It may suit student but may find it gets bit much every day around social life or studies. Plus two people can cover sickness and holidays and other situations.

Nickname1980 Mon 15-Aug-16 23:14:19

That's interesting, calamityjane! I had initially thought no childcare students as I just assumed them to be very young (and since the job requires some driving to do pickups). I will definitely look into this.

Would you go for Gumtree over childcare.co.uk and nanny agencies, Akire?

NuffSaidSam Tue 16-Aug-16 00:31:30

It might be tricky, but not impossible. I doubt you'll find someone currently working as a professional nanny to do those hours, but they might appeal to someone looking for just a few hours work a day. Most likely a student looking for hours after uni/college or an older person whose looking for something part time.

Depending on where you are there may be mature students around if you don't want the very young ones.

I don't think an agency will be able to help you, but you shouldn't have to pay unless they find you someone, so no harm in asking. Childcare.co.uk is very good and I think only £20 for a months membership. Gumtree is good if you're in London, the other areas are variable so check how active your local one is. The best place to advertise this sort of job though is probably locally, ad at any college/unis plus word of mouth.

Looking for a couple of people may be a good idea, because it can be difficult to find someone reliable to do these sort of hours. I think the fewer hours it is the more unreliable people are! Students may be off over school holidays (although that may suit you?), for example.

Akire Wed 17-Aug-16 17:22:52

I would use gumtree if you are not particularly looking for someone who's solely qualified in childcare. You don't need sole charge just extra pair of hands as you are around.

LittleGwyneth Thu 18-Aug-16 14:52:09

Where are you in London? I'm looking for something on those hours at the moment (several years of experience, working as a writer so looking for something PT to earn some money)

Nickname1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:21:07

Ooh I will send you a message, LittleGwyneth!

Nickname1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 22:35:20

Argh I don't know how to send messages, littlegwyneth! I can't figure it out! But I'm in Hackney. Send me a PM and I can send you more info, if that neighbourhood suits you.

NuffSaidSam Fri 19-Aug-16 23:46:27

Click 'Message Poster' next to LittleGwyneth's name (where it says Add message, Report, Message Poster)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now