This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Am I an awful person?

(8 Posts)
Confused0987 Sun 14-Aug-16 21:38:32

I am currently a nanny, and I have been offered a 'dream job', something I always wanted to try doing, but I am absolutely petrified of handing in my notice and letting this family down. I didn't go searching for this job, it kind of came to me.

I have only been there six months, and I feel like the worst person in the world. They are lovely people, and great to work for, but I'm ready for a change and try something new. Trying to think of how I can explain to them and what to say, I'm just so nervous. But I feel like I will always kick myself if I don't accept this offer and give it a go.

Help!!

HSMMaCM Mon 15-Aug-16 08:34:01

I think you could put most of what you said here in your notice letter. You could offer to help them interview new nannies.

They'll probably be upset but I'm sure they'll understand.

LynetteScavo Mon 15-Aug-16 09:02:29

Handing in your notice is the hardest bit, but once is done you will be so excited....

LightTripper Mon 15-Aug-16 10:07:00

I am a parent and although I would be sad and a bit stressed if my nanny resigned after 6 months if you put it the way you have I would understand and try to be as flexible/helpful as possible. What notice is in your contract? Will that work with the new job? Offering help with finding a new nanny I'm sure would be very much appreciated if you feel able: the nanny grapevine is a powerful thing!!

NuffSaidSam Mon 15-Aug-16 14:02:24

You just need to give them as much notice as possible. If things are flexible with your new job then offer to stay until they've found someone else (within reason obviously). I'd offer to help them find someone new maybe via the nanny network in your area or putting an ad up for them. Tell them what you've said here and that you'll give them a wonderful reference

smearedinfood Mon 15-Aug-16 16:51:09

Uncomfortable, but you do need to put "you" first.

OhThatThingAgain Mon 15-Aug-16 17:42:57

Try to think of it as employment, not as a personal thing. We all get the jitters when resigning, it's not nice having to give notice.

Write your notice and then sit down, be honest and just tell them what you've said here. You've been offered your dream job, you can not turn it down.

If you were my employee I'd be sad to see you go (finding employees is hard) but I'd congratulate you and not want to hold you back.

You sound nice, offer to help interview new nannies. Work your notice and leave happily. You deserve this new job, it's your dream. There will be another nanny out there for them.

Congratulations, it's time to move on with your career flowers

Audreyhelp Mon 15-Aug-16 20:52:41

Congratulations on your new job. It's not the end of the world for them try and give as much notice as possible . Be brave and give notice you will be so relieved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now