This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

English au pair?

(6 Posts)
hazelm Fri 12-Aug-16 22:43:41

Our friends' daughter is looking for flexible jobs in her gap year - this coincides with our need for some childcare. We thought it would be great to have her as an au pair but looking into it, it seems that au pairs have to be foreign nationals who are here on an exchange basis.

So with that in mind, does that mean we would have to employ her instead? If that's the case I need to work out if it's financially viable whilst still fair to her. My understanding is that if she earns under a threshold we wouldn't need to register with HMRC but would we still be required to provide eg maternity pay if she got pregnant?

The duties would be primarily caring for a 4yo but with some school pickups for an 8yo as well. We would provide accommodation and she would be considered part of the family ie sharing meals. If she were a true au pair we'd be looking at ca £100 a week pocket money, but I imagine if she's employed we'd have to pay at least the minimum wage (albeit with an allowance for accommodation). Is minimum wage fair for this kind of work?

Sorry, so many questions!

BarbLives Fri 12-Aug-16 22:46:02

If she lives as part of your family then minimum wage doesn't apply. There is no 'au pair visa' or anything anymore so no real reason not to employ her as an au pair.

NuffSaidSam Fri 12-Aug-16 23:31:26

I think legally you're fine re. employing her as an au pair.

I would think about the additional complications of employing someone you know though. What if she's terrible? Lazy? You just don't get on? Are you going to be happy to ask her to leave? Will it ruin your friendship?

nannynick Sat 13-Aug-16 06:25:23

Pay under £112 per week. Involve them in family activities, outings, eating some meals as a family.

Have a written agreement that it is an aupair placement, detailing working hours and provision of accommodation and food.

Due to low earnings they would not qualify for maternity pay.

hazelm Sat 13-Aug-16 19:15:03

Barblives - so does that mean that the rules have changed and UK au pairs are allowed? Government website isn't entirely clear www.gov.uk/au-pairs-employment-law/au-pairs

hazelm Sat 13-Aug-16 19:16:22

NuffSaidSam - yes, we'd need to think that through. She's definitely not lazy and has many younger siblings so totally knows her stuff but could be #awkward

NannyNick - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now