This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

mothers help

(8 Posts)
Sinclair123 Sun 07-Aug-16 06:37:47

Hello,
I have the opportunity to have a young girl (21) who is a groom to help me for an hour a day. I would like her role to be a 'mothers help' but just wondered what people expected a mothers help to do and also, is £10/ HR fair. Also when is the best time of day to have help? I was thinking at 4-5 ish. I have a month old baby and a 20month toddler.
Thanks for any tips! smile

nannynick Sun 07-Aug-16 08:50:14

What do you want them to do, an hour is not that long? Early evening can be good time as baby may be rather stressed and toddler is post tea but not quite in bedtime routine, so them playing with toddler whilst you cope with baby may work well.
Also try opposite way around, see who gels with whom.
Keep it simple at first, then if things go well other tasks could be added in - such as stacking dishwasher or putting a wash load on, whatever you need to help a bit.

Sinclair123 Sun 07-Aug-16 10:44:02

Thank you for that - useful ideas smile

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 07-Aug-16 10:50:24

The time I would need someone would be 5-6 to help cook/watch over supper and clear up, or 6.30-7.30 so bath time /bed time routine with the eldest and some ironing.

Artandco Sun 07-Aug-16 10:51:45

I don't think 1hr is worth it tbh. It will take a good 20mins for eldest child to get used to person arriving, and you giving update etc. Plus an hour isn't long enough they can do much with child or in home

If you can, I would suggest 3 hrs, 3 days a week. Something like mon, weds, from from 3-6pm. Then they can maybe take toddler out for an hours walk/ play/ in garden to wear them out after nap, plus help maybe prepping dinner, sorting some kids laundry, and helping toddler tidy toys before they leave. There's also time then they could have both children in living room whilst you had a quiet bath or whatever

NuffSaidSam Sun 07-Aug-16 13:27:01

I'd go with either the 'supper' hour, so maybe 5-6pm.

She can help cook or watch toddler/hold baby while you cook.
Sit with DC1 while he/she eats or hold baby while you sit with DC1 or if she's very good, sit with DC1 while holding DC2 and give you a few mins to have a cup of tea!
Help tidy-up after supper (wipe table, sweep floor, stack dishwasher)

or

the 'bedtime' hour, 6pm-7pm

Ideally, she'd hold/rock/settle the baby, while you spend an hour focussed on DC1 (bath,pj's, story, bed).

It depends on your DC's routine though, if the baby is fussy in the evening then that won't work so well.

Or even the 'getting ready for the day hour' so 8am-9am.She could supervise one or both while you have a shower and get ready for the day. Maybe help DC1 get dressed. Get stuff organised, while you get DC ready (put the buggy in the car, make sure nappy is stocked etc.)

Sinclair123 Sun 07-Aug-16 22:02:35

Thank you everyone - all really helpful ideas!

Sinclair123 Mon 08-Aug-16 04:10:14

Thank you everyone - all really helpful ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now