This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Becoming a non-registered nanny

(5 Posts)
MrsT1967 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:42:03

Hi all, I am very confused about this registered and non registered nanny thing.
So, if I choose not to register how many families can I have if I have one child a day from different families, only two days I have an overlap with two.
Can my families use funding/vouchers?
Don't know what to do for the best.
I have just finished being a childminders assistant, so registered then, with DBS and first aid.
Advice please.

nannynick Wed 27-Jul-16 06:53:43

You can never have more than 2 families at the same time, regardless of being registered or not.

You could have one family per day but each family is your employer and has to do payroll, which may get a bit complicated - always agree a Gross salary.

nannynick Wed 27-Jul-16 06:55:03

No, they cannot use childcare vouchers or tax credits. That is why there is a voluntary registration scheme.

Cindy34 Wed 27-Jul-16 07:37:45

Families wanting a nanny will often have 2, 3, 4 or more children. This is due to the way nannies are paid, a fee for care of all in the family, not per child. Parents with one child are not really your target market as a nanny. Sure some may want a nanny, due to needing a very early start time, or very late finish time but for those wanting say 8am-6pm, they will find a childminder or nursery.

Are you saying that you would be having a different child each day of the week?
Familes: A, B, C, D, and E.
Then having a day where two families combine (do they know each other well)?
So Monday may be Family A.
Tuesday family B & C
Wednesday just family C
Thursday family D
Friday family E

As Nick says, that could get rather messy in payroll terms. It would also be messy when trying to arrange holiday, as if you wanted to have a week off, you would need all 5 families to agree!

I would just look for one family to care for, possibly two part-time. So family A Mon-Wed and family B Thurs and Friday. Keep it as simple as possible.

Cindy34 Wed 27-Jul-16 07:38:16

Families wanting a nanny will often have 2, 3, 4 or more children. This is due to the way nannies are paid, a fee for care of all in the family, not per child. Parents with one child are not really your target market as a nanny. Sure some may want a nanny, due to needing a very early start time, or very late finish time but for those wanting say 8am-6pm, they will find a childminder or nursery.

Are you saying that you would be having a different child each day of the week?
Familes: A, B, C, D, and E.
Then having a day where two families combine (do they know each other well)?
So Monday may be Family A.
Tuesday family B & C
Wednesday just family C
Thursday family D
Friday family E

As Nick says, that could get rather messy in payroll terms. It would also be messy when trying to arrange holiday, as if you wanted to have a week off, you would need all 5 families to agree!

I would just look for one family to care for, possibly two part-time. So family A Mon-Wed and family B Thurs and Friday. Keep it as simple as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now