This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is this a reasonable childminding cost?

(29 Posts)
JimbosJetSet Sat 23-Jul-16 14:52:12

We have found a childminder we like for 4yo DD. We are in the south of England but not London. We need to drop off at 8am and collect at 6pm, but DD will be at preschool for 4 hours of this (CM will drop her off and collect her). CM is quoting £50 per day, not including food. I was expecting less, but does that sound reasonable? Thanks.

WitteryTwittery Sat 23-Jul-16 14:55:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gizlotsmum Sat 23-Jul-16 14:55:50

We are in Cambridgeshire and pay £40 per day including food so that does sound fairly reasonable. We paid for the place even if DS was at preschool as it is a place they can't fill with another child ( especially half days)

snorepatrol Sat 23-Jul-16 14:56:35

I must be lucky I pay £28 for 8 hours and it's £1 for lunch and snacks

mimishimmi Sat 23-Jul-16 14:58:32

Sounds reasonable.

JimbosJetSet Sat 23-Jul-16 16:18:52

Gosh ok, I thought a CM would be cheaper but I think a nursery will be with the 15 free hours and being able to use childcare vouchers. Is that generally the case?

Greenyogagirl Sat 23-Jul-16 16:21:25

East Midlands it would be £15 with proper meals and drinks included with that shock

Gizlotsmum Sat 23-Jul-16 16:23:52

I can use childcare vouchers and free hours with my childminder. When we looked it worked out about the same cost for us. We went with childminder as was right for us

Cindy34 Sat 23-Jul-16 17:20:56

Full day nursery can use 15 hours funding during 38 weeks term time (or 570 hours over full year). Some childminders accept this funding, as does pre-school.

Childminder, nursery and pre-school may all accept childcare vouchers.

Try to look at future needs... is the childminder near your home and also near the local school which your child is most likely to attend? A nursery may be ideal when they are little but they may not provide before/after school care. Nursery may be large, or may be small. A childminder may care for just a few children, or may have quite a lot (if they have an assistant). Compare different providers, there will be pros/cons to each type of care, cost will vary though try to calculate full yearly cost.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 23-Jul-16 17:35:22

I was paying £5 per hour 6 years ago with no meals so yes it's reasonable. I general in my area in the South East nurseries are cheaper than childminders, but spaces at both are like gold dust.

gamerwidow Sat 23-Jul-16 17:49:06

I paid £4.50/ hour to my cm when dd was this age but that included 3 meals too. I think it's usual to charge for the time dc are at preschool too because they can't use the space for someone else.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 23-Jul-16 18:25:12

We pay 4 an hour in North west. It doesn't make any difference if they are at pre school in the middle.

goodenoughmum88 Sat 23-Jul-16 18:38:11

We pay £5 per hour, use vouchers and free hours. We send lunch and she provides snacks (a lot of snacks!!!)

greenyoga where? I'm easy mids and use 2 cm's - ones £32 the other is £30. If you know one for £15 that's amazing!

Nan0second Sat 23-Jul-16 18:47:07

I pay £4.50 an hour which includes all snacks and meals as well as trips to toddler groups. I would have to pay for 'fancier' trips!

workplacewoe Sat 23-Jul-16 19:13:02

Perfectly normal to have to pay usual rates while your child is at pre-school as the childminder cannot use that time for another child.
I think £5/hour seems fair.

RitchyBestingFace Sat 23-Jul-16 19:16:16

£5 per hour in London seems cheap to me. Around my area (Z3 north London) - it's around £7 - maybe £6 for a less experienced one. Even so CM places are like gold dust. Nurseries are generally cheaper than CMs but it is all to do with what you want from your childcare setting.

thisgirlrides Sat 23-Jul-16 21:47:35

I'm in SE and would charge £60 so if say reasonable. Why not ask if you can use the 15 hours with cm instead of nursery?

Greenyogagirl Sat 23-Jul-16 23:51:19

Englishgirl, Leicestershire. The group of childminders I know all charge 2.50 an hour and include proper meals with puds etc

mimishimmi Sun 24-Jul-16 01:25:20

CM's are getting more expensive than nurseries because less people can afford to provide it and the number of children they can have is smaller which means they can market themselves on exclusivity/more one-on-one care etc.

WhimsicalWinnifred Sun 24-Jul-16 08:55:08

We pay £4 for 8-6. We do receive the 15 hours free as dd is over 3 and both use childcare vouchers. Northamptonshire.

Seems reasonable. It's don't enjoy paying it tbh. I worked out I could get 6.2 nissan jukes for our childcare cosy but cars don't look after kids wink

thisgirlrides Sun 24-Jul-16 10:34:25

£2.50ph shocksadconfused I can't believe people charge this little. With the increases in minimum wage it must make more sense financially to go & get paid employment. If there's s group of cm all charging so low why on earth don't they collectively do something about it & increase to a sensible level.

HSMMaCM Sun 24-Jul-16 11:37:49

I am a cm that takes vouchers and provides 15 free hours. Check all your options.

KP86 Sun 24-Jul-16 11:51:08

That would be £60 with my child minder (in SE London) including food but not nappies.

sianihedgehog Sun 24-Jul-16 12:19:08

We pay £5 an hour not including food in the south-east. Seems standard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now