This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny driving test

(4 Posts)
TessaRoberts91 Fri 22-Jul-16 11:30:16

Hiya, I'm a nanny and and have been for a few years now.
My position ends in September as little one goes to school full time.
I started having driving lessons in December last year and I finally plucked up the courage to take my first driving test yesterday.
Unfortunately I failed, I was on my way back to the test centre (had about 5 mins left on the test) and I came to a roundabout where the driver on my right had his left indicator on to come off so as I proceeded to drive off he decided he was coming straight across instead.
As the examiner had to put the breaks on i was failed immediately.
(can't help feel a little hard done by as does my instructor since I was only going of what the other driver did). The examiner said I would of passed had that not happened as well which makes me feel even worse.
Anyway I've booked in another test but can't get one until the 28th September which is over two months away.
I've joined a website where if you pay they send you emails if a cancellation comes up. I was just wondering if anyone has ever used anything like this before and were you waiting long for a cancellation?
I will be absolutely gutted if I wait over two months and fail again. I just need to get it over and done with.
Feeling a little frustrated with the whole situation, can any one shed some light or if they've been in the same situation.
Thank you
Tessa

GinAndOnIt Fri 22-Jul-16 14:31:51

Sympathies, I failed twice for a silly mistake when I had no minors at all for the rest of the test. I'm sure I learnt you're supposed to wait until you see the car's wheels move in the direction of the way they're indicating, before continuing your manoeuvre. Was a long time ago though!

Could you do a crash course? You won't really need the whole week of lessons but if it means not having to wait, it could help.

Are you hoping to drive as part of your job straight away? A lot of parents may not want a brand new driver driving their children around, so you may not be able to start looking for work including driving straight away anyway IYSWIM? Don't feel disheartened. Two months is a mere drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of life.

underneaththeash Fri 22-Jul-16 20:38:48

I find when driving that you assume everyone else in the road is a complete idiot and has no idea what they are doing. Only pull out when you are sure that they're actually turning and always have a larger than necessary stopping distance., especially on roundabout as a lot of people seem to struggle with them.

Hope you get your new test soon - however I agree with the poster above, I wouldn't want a new driver driving my children around for at least three years after they have passed their test, although it will at least help you get a job future afield.

Captainj1 Tue 02-Aug-16 14:57:44

My nanny couldn't drive when I hired her and in the end it took her 5 attempts to pass the practical test (theory she passed first time). She was someone i had known for a few years and trusted hence my willingness to hire her even though she couldn't then drive (cost me a fortune in cabs to do school run etc...).

Anyway, to answer your question, 2 of the 5 tests she sat were cancellations that she got through that website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now