This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Mother's Help

(14 Posts)
airhostess Tue 19-Jul-16 20:52:35

Hello,
I'm thinking of hiring a Mother's help, I have no family, husband works abroad frequently and could do with an extra pair of hands. I don't want a Nanny or an Au Pair, just someone that can assist me with the everyday run of the house and children.
Does anyone have one? What do you pay them and what do you require from them?
Thank you x

onlyconnect Tue 19-Jul-16 21:17:01

I've employed a couple of people on this basis. For me it was twice a week around teatime for a couple of hours. I asked the childcare lecturer at a local college to advertise the post. Because mine have been about 17 years old I've paid £6-7 ph. If you do employ a young person I'd check at an interview that they can do simple domestic tasks. I had one who couldn't do anything. I had to rewash a pan she'd supposedly washed that had only had pasta cooked in it and she couldn't put a pillow case on. Others have been good though

airhostess Tue 19-Jul-16 21:49:21

There is a local lady that I know mid 30's but looking for £10 an hour. Do you think that's too much?

venys Tue 19-Jul-16 21:54:29

I have sort of hired nannies/mothers helps but it has ended up tending towards the nanny side of the job as it has only been a few hours a day (and I end up getting particular about cooking etc). But we have paid £10 net an hour. I think it's a standard rate, in London anyway.

LondonGirl83 Wed 20-Jul-16 10:29:29

10 net sound more like London nanny pay rather than a mothers help.

I was going to ask the same question. My mother is probably going to look after our baby but given she is in her 60s I thought it might be good to bring someone else in as a second pair of hands that could do some of the nursery duties as well.

Does anyone have a live-out mother's help that doesn't have any sole charge responsibilities. How much do you pay if the position is only part time. I imagine it should be around what nursery staff make which is 8 quid an hour but it would be good to get an idea.

onlyconnect Wed 20-Jul-16 12:10:33

I think £10 would be ok if she is competent, doing some sole charge, cooking tea. , bedtime etc. If it's less than that and when you're around its maybe a bit steep. Depends of course what you can afford. Mine have been really good ( except the one I mentioned) and sometimes I'm out sometimes in; they do other jobs too like changing beds, emptying dishwasher if not too occupied with the kids.

Monday0 Thu 18-Aug-16 13:31:50

Hi - just to continue this thread, I am looking for a mother's help as well, and do not really know how to go about it. Do I go through a childcare site or is this too much for what I am expecting? It is a part-time role, after school for 3 days with some cooking and ferrying around of children. Not sure who to advertise with, so would appreciate any responses!

MeadowHay Thu 18-Aug-16 17:50:34

Whereabouts are you all? I'm a student who loves children and has experience with them (not in a formal environment though), and something like this would be brilliant for me. I think a lot of students would be really interested in a few hours a week job like this.

Monday0 Thu 18-Aug-16 18:50:12

Thankyou. We are in the St. Albans area - where are you? And if this does not work for you, how would you suggest I reach out to students? They would need to have some childcare experience, although not formal.

GoAndAskDaddy Thu 18-Aug-16 21:46:42

I have just taken on a Mother's Help for a few hours a week & offered £8.50ph (Yorkshire). She's only 18 but nice girl & I felt she would be the type to just "muck in" & be useful. Found on a website called Indeed when advertising for a pt Housekeeper....got loads of good applicants. Has the added bonus of being free.

Kanga59 Wed 24-Aug-16 21:31:32

I pay £8 ph (south east) and found someone by putting an advert on indeed.co.uk and sorting through cvs. She's going to uni soon so I'll need to find a replacement. She asked for £7ph but I felt that was too low.

Monday0 Sun 28-Aug-16 09:37:31

Thanks for your advice - have tried to post an ad in Indeed a couple of times and it charges me £3 per day, is this right?

Kanga59 Sun 28-Aug-16 17:36:31

I have never paid for a sponsored ad and still received sufficient replies. Choose the free option if you don't want to pay..

yoowhoo Sun 28-Aug-16 21:46:06

Advertise on childcare.co.uk or gumtree. Or if you have a local mums and dads fb page.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now