This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Random childcare... Questions!

(11 Posts)
user1466874803 Mon 18-Jul-16 23:04:20

Ok firstly sorry if this is asked before a million times, I have not yet got to grips with mums bet layout!

So I want to go back to work doing 2/3 days a week. My husband works shifts so 50% of the time he will be there for the LO but the other 50% I need a childminder. Do they prefer set days? Is there a minimum of hours they prefer to do with the child? I have no idea about any of this do any advice would be great! The ones around me charge £4 p/h. It seems so cheap to me, I guess they must look after other children at once? How does food work?

SO MANY question! Sorry not sorry teehee.. Thanks boo X

HSMMaCM Tue 19-Jul-16 08:44:40

Most (but not all) childminders prefer set days each week.

Minimum hours, food, holidays, etc vary from minder to minder, so you'd have to ask each one.

HSMMaCM Tue 19-Jul-16 09:26:16

And yes they usually have more than one child and work in their own home. Your dh might like this, so he can sleep when he's off shift?

GiveMyHeadPeaceffs Tue 19-Jul-16 09:48:33

Best bet is to find childminders and ask them these questions, they expect it. Also ask if you can see where the kids play, eat, etc. My childminder volunteered all this info so I barely had any questions!

Primaryteach87 Tue 19-Jul-16 09:52:47

It's possible but rare to find childminders who will work around shift patterns. Most likely, you'll need to pay for the days you're at work regardless.

The minimum hours thing will probably depend on how full they are. If the take one extra child for one morning, it could stop them taking a full time child because they'd go over numbers. If they aren't too full, this might not be a problem.

They do have other children, but there are legal limits on the numbers so it's normally not anywhere near as many as a nursery.

thisgirlrides Tue 19-Jul-16 15:57:13

I'm a cm and used to have a family with similar sounding requirements. I charged for 2 days a week and reserved the 3rd day at 50% of usual fee. If patent used the 3 days I'd get full pay but if they came 1,2 or even not at all I still got 2 days pay. I wouldn't have been able to fill the space ad hoc but it gave me the odd quieter day which I liked. Not all cm's can afford (or want!) this way but it's something to consider .

anyname123 Wed 20-Jul-16 20:46:07

Hi, I've contacted about a dozen CMs in my local area asking if they do flexible days and they all gave me a big fat no. I understand why completely, but IMO nurseries were able to be more flexible. Don't leave it too late in the hope of finding a CM

Miwal Thu 21-Jul-16 20:10:00

Hi all, just a quick question and suggestion welcome I am looking for a baby sitter to look after my kids at night while I work, am on a shift basses sono get my shift monthly any recommendations will be wellcome. Thanks

Cindy34 Thu 21-Jul-16 22:42:55

For evening care, a student may work out well, as long as they have experience with young children.
When I was in my late teens/early 20's I used to do the occasional overnight for a local nurse whilst she was on night shift. It fitted well with my college hours.

Evening and overnight care can be very costly, so finding someone local who you trust and who will accept a pay rate that you can afford can be tricky.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Fri 22-Jul-16 16:05:53

For nights and evenings you may find a nursery nurse wanting some extra money, I do nights and evenings but wouldn't be able to take a permanent job where I was waiting for a parents shift pattern as would prevent other bookings.

newshoes68 Mon 01-Aug-16 19:00:41

I'm a CM. And just starting a young baby in shift pattern .
We have worked out the the average week over 3 mths is 32 hrs wk. Which the parent will pay for , no matter what .- any hours over 32 are charged at std rate . Any hours less are lost and NOT carried over.
2nd -week -in the child is only with me for 4 hrs all wk , other weeks can be 3/4 long days - I still get paid my 32hrs!!

If you could present that equation to a CM it will help , as it secures the child's place and the CM income .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now