This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

After school advice

(5 Posts)
user7755 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:49:03

We have two kids (11&12). 11 year old has learning difficulties (may or may not be relevant).

Without all the long backstory we have managed without any childcare since the boys started school, but circumstances have changed recently and we are struggling with after school care. Is an after school nanny a thing? If so, how much is it likely to cost? How would I find one? What do they do - meal prep, Cleaning etc or purely childcare.

lovelynannytobe Wed 06-Jul-16 13:40:20

There are after school nannies but they're harder to find than regular nannies as the number of working hours is very low. In my area afterschool nannies start at £15/h. They would prepare simple tea for the children, supervise homework, maybe do some activities with them etc. I would not expect any cleaning in afterschool positions except loading the dishwasher, wiping down kitchen surfaces etc.
Saying that I know one nanny who starts work at 12 o'clock each day when the children are still at school. She does 2.5h of cleaning/cooking/grocery shopping before going out to get the children from school. You could offer this as an option if you need cleaning done.

user7755 Wed 06-Jul-16 13:47:30

That's really helpful, thank you. I think we would be looking at about 3-4 hours per day but 3 days per week so perhaps even harder to find someone. Maybe I need to rethink - I think they're too old for a childminder and with the youngest having additional needs I think being at home would be better.

asg198 Wed 06-Jul-16 14:40:25

Have you considered a nanny with their own child who they bring with them to work as they may be more open to doing the shorter hours. Would you need full days in the holidays

user7755 Wed 06-Jul-16 14:46:38

Funnily enough I have just someone in that situation online, will speak to dh and drop her a line.

We tend to be ok in the holidays as I can be flexible but I feel bad always leaving early in the week.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now