This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

As car insurance is astronomical would a scooter be good for au pair?

(9 Posts)
nothingtoadd Wed 06-Jul-16 12:25:22

We're in the process of recruiting an AuPair. Just had a quote for about 2k on a little micra for an 18yo French girl.

We don't need her to take the kids anywhere. The language school is in the next town but would take 1.5hours on the bus.

I'm worried whoever we recruit will be isolated without transport.

I know I could look for someone older but it's not an amazing place to live, and I think the job is a bit dull (before and after school only). No weekends and no evening babysitting. So I think we're not going to be awash with choice.

Wwyd please?

Karoleann Wed 06-Jul-16 13:30:39

We only employ 22+ as the insurance is so high.

I'd ask her if she would like a scooter, but it sounds like a good option is she's happy with one. Yes, I agree that that she will need some kind of transport if you're that isolated.

MaybeDoctor Wed 06-Jul-16 13:53:50

I know lots of young people in other european countries ride scooters, but I would be really uncomfortable encouraging a young person to do that here - the level of driver road awareness of two-wheeled vehicles is just so different...

MaybeDoctor Wed 06-Jul-16 13:54:48

Taxi allowance?
Lift share?

EssentialHummus Wed 06-Jul-16 14:01:54

Only if she's happy with it and has ridden before. If not it's a recipe for disaster - taxi allowance as maybe said will go down much better. Or play around with different cars? (Even) smaller engines?

nothingtoadd Wed 06-Jul-16 14:22:07

Thank you.

Weirdly we aren't at all isolated just really awkward bus services!

Good thought about taxi allowances. I've asked advice from the agency.

Yy about road safety. I had onscreen I was 16 and it was great, but that was 20 years Ago!

harshbuttrue1980 Tue 12-Jul-16 16:43:10

No evening and weekend babysitting - I would think that would make the job MORE popular, rather than less. It sounds like your au pair will be lucky in that they will have plenty of time for studies/social life. A scooter would be fine if she is happy with it, but not everyone would be as they can be quite dangerous.

Peasandsweetcorn Wed 13-Jul-16 00:31:19

We sound as though we're in a similar situation to you &, after doing the maths several times & thinking about whether we really want someone living in our house, have decided to try & find a before/after school nanny instead. Where we live, the author pair would have to have a car which we would have to buy as well as insure as we use our current two cars to get to our jobs which are in opposite directions of each other.

nothingtoadd Thu 14-Jul-16 18:15:03

Just seen this. I think we've found someone!

She doesn't want to do language school (I agree it's too good). She can drive but is very used to public transport and happy with that.

She's described how she'll spend her time and we're all happy to proceed.

We've settled on money and it's still definitely cheaper Than any alternative. The kids are really positive about it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now