This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Extending nanny hours

(17 Posts)
Believeitornot Fri 01-Jul-16 07:51:23

My nanny currently works 8am til 6pm but we need to extend her hours.

She has her own child and has expressed reluctance to work later when mooted previously.

However due to a change in job, I will need her to work until 7pm. I may be able to flex this to 6.30pm.

However when asked to work until 6.15pm, to allow for travel delays on our part, she said she would find it hard because of her child but has given it a go. In reality she always gets released at 6pm unless there's a train problem (rare).

So if I do want to extend her hours and she refuses, what do I do? Do I have to make her redundant? I have issue with paying redundancy etc - this isn't about trying to avoid costs. I just need to find more suitable and flexible childcare for us as a family.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Believeitornot Fri 01-Jul-16 07:52:07

Sorry I mean I have no issue! Missed the vital word there blush

summerainbow Fri 01-Jul-16 08:05:34

Ask her .and if she does not want to it you will have make her redundant I think .

VodkaValiumLattePlease Fri 01-Jul-16 08:11:05

Don't think I'd want to work an 11 hour day either tbh

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 01-Jul-16 08:15:54

I wouldn't either, that's a really long day !

I didn't think you could just change hours as the job will be different to what was agreed?

Believeitornot Fri 01-Jul-16 08:49:59

I know it is a long day sad it is a temporary arrangement for 4 -6 months. In reality we would probably be sending her home at 6.30 and maybe 6 on some days but id rather pay her until 7 just in case.

Many nanny jobs in the area are until 7pm so not that unusual.

Plus the DCs would actually be at school. The nanny gets the day free - we are paying for her to take the children and be around in the day to do household stuff or look after the children if they're unwell. So while a lob day it isn't full on all day.

So I think I need to offer the new hours and if she says no then make her redundant?

nannynick Fri 01-Jul-16 10:08:51

I frequently work a 12 hour day and that is not uncommon for a nanny.

The role is changing. You offer her the new role and she either decides to take it or she leaves - the old role is redundant, redundancy pays if they have been in your employment for 2years+.

Whilst it will change her own child's routine, would that not naturally happen as they get older anyway?

Iguessyourestuckwithme Fri 01-Jul-16 10:11:20

11 hours us mother a long day. In fact thats my short day! Ask her maybe negotiate that she does it so many days and 1 night you have a babysitter come for 6pm

Fairuza Fri 01-Jul-16 12:55:54

If it's just for 4-6 months I'd look at a babysitter rather than going through redundancy and recruiting a new nanny.

alexandragimenez Fri 01-Jul-16 13:00:58

I wouldn't want to work for that long either, after all she does have a family as well. But anyway, if you really need it, that's fine - you can always ask her, if she refuses, look for another one. I am sure you would be able to find someone else.

Karoleann Fri 01-Jul-16 13:19:14

A babysitter for an hour would be a right faff.

I'd just explain to her that you don't have any option but to extend it and then pay redundancy if she isn't willing to. Jobs do change, I've had hours extended, bank holiday working added and Sunday working introduced in previous jobs I've had.

Believeitornot Fri 01-Jul-16 13:29:52

I'm not getting a babysitter - madness!

The role will change, so we could try another mix of childcare - this is just the quickest solution for now to save having to find something else.

Another option is before school care then nanny does a longer evening but starts later. Will have a think.

But the redundancy point is understood thank you!

Forresitters1 Sat 02-Jul-16 09:14:31

How old is your nanny's own child? If you really don't want to lose her and she does want to stay but the new hours will be too long due to childcare for her lo then would it be possible for her to bring her child to work?
I've been in my nanny job for 2yrs now and do 8-6, however my bosses know I cannot stay later due to childcare arrangements for my daughter. On occasions where I have been asked to stay later it's usually due to us agreeing that I can collect my daughter from school and bring her back with me until finish time. Works wonders and is so much less hassle as I'm not rushing around after work or worrying about being late to collect her.

Believeitornot Sat 02-Jul-16 11:28:57

She does bring her child to work - that's the problem. She doesn't like staying later as it means her daughter gets tired (she's only 1) at the end of the day. So I do sympathise but have the difficulty that we will need to make a change to hours.

jkdnanny Sat 02-Jul-16 12:42:24

I can understand why she doesn't want to work later since she has her own child. A lot of nannies do 11hrs+ a day, but for nannies with their own children it can make it a long day. As if she finishes at 7 by the time shes packed up her child and taken her home etc it will make for a late night and then they have to do it again the next day. I can understand her reluctance even though I also think nannies need to realise how lucky they are that they can bring their kids to work.
Would she be able to bath her child at yours on the days she works til 7? That way if she can bath/pj her child it might take some of the concern from her.
If she cant do the change in hours then you will need to make her redundant. Have you explained to her its just a temporary thing?

MaybeDoctor Sat 02-Jul-16 12:51:50

I think that could work quite well actually - bath and PJ for baby, then she will drop off on the way home.

Believeitornot Sat 02-Jul-16 19:51:07

I havent spoken to her yet about it. I want to make sure where I am legally if she says no.

Yes she is lucky to bring her child to work - and sometimes I've probably bent too far over backwards to accommodate (eg when her daughter is ill she will ring in sick so I'm stuck for childcare, which I don't think is the norm?). But I do try and be as fair as possible because my own employer is pretty good.

I'll talk to her about it and see if she wants to take the longer hours. If not then we consider next steps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now