This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny vs nursery for 3 year old

(17 Posts)
familyfarm Thu 30-Jun-16 18:30:05

We are in the fortunate position that we have two options for DD's childcare from September - she is 3 years old:

1. DD goes to local pre-school for 3 hours a day and the rest of the hours are covered by a nanny (4 days a week)

2. DD goes to a full time day care nursery (4 days a week)

She already has a nanny who will most likely to stay on, but if she leaves I may need to find someone else (which is always a nightmare!)

My brain says I should put her in full time day care, that way i don't have to worry at all, and I think my heart says local nursery & nanny. But I worry sometimes that she gets a bit bored with the nanny, especially if its raining outside.

What would you do? Any advice? Thanks smile

familyfarm Thu 30-Jun-16 18:31:05

Sorry double post, due to App error!

NapQueen Thu 30-Jun-16 18:32:45

Would a Nanny even want a job where their charge is at nursery 4 full days?

familyfarm Thu 30-Jun-16 18:34:40

Yes nanny is interested in doing part time hours, so not working the 15 hours DD is at local pre-school.

familyfarm Thu 30-Jun-16 18:35:18

Sorry, the 5th day I'm off work so nanny doesn't work.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Thu 30-Jun-16 18:39:23

NapQueen there options are nursery OR nanny (or nanny + 3 hours at pre-school) so the nanny wouldn't be employed if the 3 yo is at nursery 4 days.

Doesn't the nanny take your dd to local groups, meet friends, go the park even if it's raining? (has she heard of wellies and umbrellas?!)

Which options presents the easiest transition to school next year?

OfflineFor40Years Thu 30-Jun-16 18:44:32

I would go for a mix; the benefits being you'll be more likely to cover any sick days where your DD can't go to nursery, give your DD the chance for more days out during the summer, ability to go to local groups/ballet/swimming etc (if you don't do those on your day off).

That's what we did and it worked well for us. And years later our old nanny still picks up my DC from school occasionally or looks after them in the holidays if I need extra help.

Cel982 Thu 30-Jun-16 18:51:12

Keep the nanny, definitely. Three hours in nursery and the rest of the time with a one-to-one carer is a nice balance. And it means you won't have to make alternative arrangements when she's ill.

familyfarm Thu 30-Jun-16 19:32:42

Thank you everyone! Really appreciate your help with this one, I'll go with a mix smile

Yerazig Thu 30-Jun-16 19:42:42

Yes if you can afford to keep your nanny of defo keep your nanny and add in the hours for pre school. I do think at three they should be in more of a formal environment then a home environment to get them ready for school. So if you can do both you can get the best of both worlds.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Thu 30-Jun-16 20:04:57

When my charge turns 3 they will start going to pre-school 2 mornings a week, which will build up to 5 mornings before the term before they start school. When they are with me, we will continue to do toddler groups, playdates, trip to the playground/run errands in town, paint etc.

jannier Fri 01-Jul-16 21:42:08

You do have another choice from a nanny if you used a good child-minder your child would already be in a group of children and getting massive amounts of free choice and messy play.
There have been 10 children in today with 3 adults, activities - sand, water, paint, drawing, role play, story time, music and singing, wood walk, outdoor play splashing and muddy puddles, tool box for measuring and building, bug hunts and hide the bug games.
The children still get loads individual attention but are not without friends to play with. Some will go to school nursery for part of the day some parents choose not to send them yet all the 3 year olds can write their names are independent in dressing and some can read and do number bonds.

Maryann1975 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:47:57

I would keep the nanny on.
Is the preschool term time only? Will the nanny be expected to cover the nursery hours in the holiday?
I think a good nanny is worth their weight in gold. The little extras that get done around the house, putting a wash on, putting the DC clothes away, feeding the child tea before you get back from work, dressing child/breakfast if you leave early, picking up odd bits of shopping. You don't tend to get that from a nursery.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Fri 01-Jul-16 23:53:13

But you can get that from a nanny Jannier

My 2 have a lot of 1 on 1 with meach but we link up with 2 other nannies so there's a group of 6 10 moth - 4 year olds that learn to play in a group setting but with the security of their nanny being there to support them.

dogdrifts Sat 02-Jul-16 00:02:46

We used the nanny plus nursery option. The nanny was actually ft though, she started at 7.30 and did the nursery and school runs. That way we always had someone who could cover any sick days, school holidays/ INSET days etc. Our nannies always met up with friends for activities so the kids got to know children in a wider group, as well as took them to all sorts of other activities. Nanny plus nursery just gave us a whole heap more flexibility, and removed the nightmare of us having to drop off/ collect and find replacement care for sickness etc.

Audreyhelp Sat 02-Jul-16 21:07:53

I think the nanny should be kept on its a lovely balance to have nursery and nanny. Another year she will be in school full time for years so why start a formal setting so early when she will have years at school. ?

jannier Sun 03-Jul-16 21:35:16

Iguessyourestuckwithme ...

I know you can get it from some nanny's, and have been one but for some reason people forget that child-minders are not babysitters and are a very good alternative often offering outstanding care by level 3 and above trained child-minders

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now