This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny having fast food while looking after LOs

(17 Posts)
LivingOnTheDancefloor Thu 30-Jun-16 09:28:35

Our nanny started last week, she is looking after our 2 children under 3.
I found something yesterday and I am really not sure if it is normal, or if I should bring it up with her. I am quite happy with her, but after only a week it is difficult to judge...
So, the facts:
I found a receipt in the buggy for a McDonalds meal she had on Monday AM.
The receipt said eat in, 9:45AM. She leaves the house around 9:30 and on Monday she was taking the children to a nearby park/playground. I know they went to the playground eventually because the childrens shoes and buggy were full of sand from the sandpit there.
The McD is not on the way to the playground, 20min detour.
She used her own money.

I feel a bit uncomfortable thinking she was sitting at McD eating her breakfast while my children were waiting in the buggy - or eating junk food... but is this what nannies usually do?
My children never had McD with me, I don't want them to, at least until they are older. I never eat there myself.

I don't know for how long she sat there, but if she made a 20min detour to get there I can imagine it wasn't just 5min.

Shall I bring it up with her? Shall I just say I find the receipt and please don't let the children have food there - and don't say anything about herself?

Please be honest but gentle, I am just trying to be fair.

VocalDuck Thu 30-Jun-16 09:31:38

Even if she bought breakfast there, it is hardly a meal that takes more than half a dozen mouthfuls. Just say to her that you don't want the children to eat anything from McDonald's or any other fast food and leave it at that.

Fairuza Thu 30-Jun-16 09:31:52

9.45am is near enough snack time for your children anyway, so maybe they had fruit and rice cakes?

Does your nanny have breakfast at your house? If she comes to work early she might not have time for breakfast at home?

legotits Thu 30-Jun-16 09:33:18

Just reiterate what the kids can have re junk.
(One ice cream or shake before a two hour play in the park isn't so bad but burger and fries instead of the park etc)

Nanny is just finding her way around still?

wobblywonderwoman Thu 30-Jun-16 09:34:02

I don't know op. I think I would leave it go but casually state you wouldnt like your children eating in McDonald's. I wouldn't like mine eating there but she might have had a bad nights sleep and no breakfast. Not worst crime in the world but I do get your concern.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Jun-16 09:35:00

Is she a good nanny? Do you trust her usually?

Justmuddlingalong Thu 30-Jun-16 09:35:17

Is your gripe about the detour, her having a McDs, the kids sitting in McDs or what? I'm a bit confused as to what your issue is?

LivingOnTheDancefloor Thu 30-Jun-16 09:59:07

Thanks for your answers!

Justmuddlingalong I am confused as well! I feel a bit uncomfortable but not sure why and if I am being unreasonable.

To answer your questions: she arrives at 8am. I can understand that she wants to get something to eat for herself mid-morning.
There are lots of snacks available for the children at home and I told her to take some with her when they go out.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen She has only been with us for a week so difficult to say.

LIZS Thu 30-Jun-16 10:05:27

I think you need to determine what the problem is. One Mc Ds doesn't mean she wasn't looking after your dc. She took a walk to get it , presumably didn't feed it to the dc and went to the park. Maybe she'd missed breakfast. If you don't want them exposed to it then say so but I feel there is a limit to the control you can exert over what she chooses to eat. Maybe a Greggs and Fruitshoot will be on the next receipt!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 30-Jun-16 10:05:41

I'd have presumed she got it and took it to the playground, to be honest. I often did, as an 18 year old nanny - the children would have their snacks then go play in the park and I'd eat something I fancied when they were otherwise occupied.

Forresitters1 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:08:22

I think you're worrying over nothing but it obviously does bother you so you need to just politely say to your nanny that you saw the receipt for Mcdonalds and you know she got her own breakfast there but would rather she didn't buy anything for the children there.
I leave my house around 7am to get to my nanny job for 8am and it's far to early for me to eat before 7 - my body clock has never been this way! I will usually grab breakfast from McDonald's drive thru on my way to soft play with my charges and even if I do eat in - I have a bag full of healthy snacks from home for them to eat. There have also been occasions where I have purchased food from McDonalds for my charges - but I always choose a carrot sticks or fruit bag option with fish fingers and water/orange juice or milk as I know my mb doesn't want them to eat junk and she is fine with this.

Letmehaveausername Thu 30-Jun-16 10:13:37

biscuit

LivingOnTheDancefloor Thu 30-Jun-16 10:33:31

Point taken everybody. I definitely don't want to be unreasonable and create un-needed issues with her as we are just starting the relationship.
And yes, I know, I have to accept loosing control over the DCs... it is hard though, after being a SAHM for years smile

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 30-Jun-16 10:37:48

Imwould leave worry until the fifth time in a couple of weeks

LivingOnTheDancefloor Thu 30-Jun-16 15:01:04

I brought it up with her, only saying please don't feed it to the children, she said yes of course. All very cordial.
Thanks again MNers!

ElleGrace Thu 30-Jun-16 20:11:43

I haven't got much advice but I will say that I have worked in both a fast food chain and a supermarket and in both places the tills all had different times on them. Some were only a few minutes out, others up to an hour out of sync.
It could be that the receipt had the time the till was set to, and she could have bought the meal before she picked the kids up. X

nannynick Thu 30-Jun-16 20:13:47

Good to raise issues as they occur, don't them brood. She won't know what you want if you don't tell her. It is fine for you to say that you don't want the children going to MacD's, though perhaps suggest some alternatives - is Starbucks acceptable?

Did you find out what she went there for... it may have just been a coffee. In which case, why not have it at your home, does she want a particular brand? Is she meeting up with other nannies - often places are meeting points as they have a toilet, hot coffee/tea, cold drinks and sometimes softplay for bad weather.

It is early days and you are all finding your feet. Set the expectations, raise any issues as they occur, consider what you would do in the same situation... is their action reasonable or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now