This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Australian au pair?

(7 Posts)
Fairuza Sun 26-Jun-16 08:45:06

I have been contacted by a nice sounding Australian, she's a little older than a lot of the 18/19 year old EU girls I have spoken to. However, I'm a bit concerned about Visas and flights etc

Has anyone hosted an Australian? How does it all work?

marmiteloversunite Sun 26-Jun-16 08:53:09

Not had an Australian au pair but my initial thought is that it is an expensive flight home if it doesn't work out.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 26-Jun-16 09:44:59

What sort of visa has she looked at? Working holiday - then there are restrictions about how many weeks she can work? Or does she have ancestry links for a visa?

Fairuza Sun 26-Jun-16 10:00:21

She hasn't mentioned ancestry links so I would assume a youth mobility visa - I think the limit is 2 years?

marmite - yes, I guess that would be an extra motivation for her to find the right family! Though an Australian would be more likely to find a new host family rather than fly home I think.

Karoleann Sun 26-Jun-16 10:21:17

We were going to and then it turned out that she'd already had a youth mobility VISA and couldn't have another one!

Costs are around £230 for the VISA and then £200 for the NHS surcharge.

Fairuza Mon 27-Jun-16 18:34:19

Does anyone know how long a youth mobility visa takes to get?

Karoleann Mon 27-Jun-16 22:30:19

According to the government website 15 days once she has all the correct paperwork.

www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview more info here. I would also ask her to get a police check which takes around the same amount of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now