This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

A young Nanny 0 experience.... Would you?

(7 Posts)
missphilippa28 Thu 23-Jun-16 23:14:43

I'm to my wits end finding a nanny part time but today I interviewed a young lady ( same age as myself 26 ) who's looking for a CV fill over the summer part time after finishing uni. She's worked in secondary schools and looked after her nieces but nothing more, she didn't interact with DD but perhaps DD was fixated to Scooby doo. She's happy to take a trial day from 3-6, so school pick up, dog walk, tea time and abit of homework. I'm just wary of her lack of experience my girls are 4 and soon to be 7 but are at the sisterly fighting stage aka ww3 so I'm wary of her discipline or management.
She's ideal for my family in the sense I could call her that day as she has no other commitments if I had to go into a meeting, she enjoys cooking craft and baking, doesn't mind walking the dog and is happy for minimum wage and do her oFsted and first aid.
I guess I don't want to feel like I've employed a friend being that she is the same age but of course different life experience.
The agency are going through her screening as we speak, what would you do? My daughter said she liked her but didn't say anything to her is this a good sign, I've never employed a nanny before but for 9 hours a week it's very difficult to find someone willing. There are no school clubs or childminders in the village unfortunately.

Yerazig Fri 24-Jun-16 07:13:57

Tbh when I saw the title I thought you was talking about a 18yr old or something. At 26 (which I wouldn't class as young) I'm sure she would have no problem with dealing with two school aged children a few hours a day, even with the lack of childcare experience smile.

nannynick Fri 24-Jun-16 10:23:47

Worth trying. Would try to get DD to interact with her, perhaps have a second interview on a weekend day rather than doing it after-school when children tend to be tired.

You mention Ofsted - that is costly and takes time. If she is just filling a gap during Summer is it worth her registering? It may take 3 months to register.

lovelynannytobe Fri 24-Jun-16 18:34:12

Tbh is seems to much faff about Ofsted registration. For 9 h a week at minimum wage I'd just forget it if I were you. It may not even be in place before September anyway.
Other than that she sounds fine.

jclm Fri 24-Jun-16 19:40:02

I would go for it! You could ask her to do one to one work with each girl before having both together. X

Karoleann Sat 25-Jun-16 08:34:32

Our best ever nanny did a summer for us when she was 26, in-between years of teacher training. She didn't have any formal experience, although had worked in a kinder gym type place.

Having said that I was around a lot of the time and I did have to teach her a lot of things (mainly discipline techniques, exactly how and what to feed the children and we spoke a lot about safety - pan handles, irons, holding hands to cross the road etc.)

I'd give her a try.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 25-Jun-16 08:50:41

So she can only do summer holidays then off to uni in sept?

If I've read it right then surely will be all day care As holidays

Or do you mean she starts sept?

Either way sure at her age she will be capable of lookimg After your two children for a few hours - also assumed you meant she was 17/18 - tho again we all had to start somewhere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now