This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I ask my au pair to wash her hair???

(163 Posts)
MiddleAgedMother Sat 18-Jun-16 07:58:30

That's it really. But it's seriously greasy, I thought it was wet!
She is very sweet, 19, but I have no idea how to approach it.
Older DC commenting on it too just not yet to her.
Thought she had yesterday but then it didn't dry so not..........

RoganJosh Sat 18-Jun-16 08:03:05

Are you sure it isn't gel or similar? Does it smell?

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Sat 18-Jun-16 08:05:04

I don't think you can mention it really. Unless is smells or has some big negative impact on your life (apart from you not like looking at it).

I would be absaloutly reading the riot act to my children if they said anything to her about it.

YvaineStormhold Sat 18-Jun-16 08:05:18

Buy her a nice bottle of shampoo and conditioner and say,

"You need to wash your hair sweetheart. It will look better and you'll feel better. Go do it now and I'll watch the kids."

Smiley, bright, breezy, friendly...blunt.

Afreshstartplease Sat 18-Jun-16 08:07:02

I don't get why you need to TBH I don't think it's any of your business! Unless it's affecting her work? You do realise she's not your property right?

Bambooshoots14 Sat 18-Jun-16 08:08:19

YvaineStormhold please do not say that! Terrible

LIZS Sat 18-Jun-16 08:10:38

How long has she been with you? Perhaps she is shy about using your hot water or uncertain how the shower works. Maybe she didn't bring stuff with her so you could do a shopping trip to introduce her to Boots, Superdrug etc where she might recognise brands,

MiddleAgedMother Sat 18-Jun-16 08:58:23

It took days for her to shower after arrival - kept saying she'd do it later.
Eventually I said DC and I are going to do this which will give you time to shower then we will all go out and do X.

I did offer her a choice of shampoos etc and she said no, she had her own.

On none of my business - personal hygiene is important to us as a family. I now have youngest saying why do I have to wash my hair.

She uses DCs brushes when playing at doing up hair which makes me cringe.

I need her to set a good example for DC.

I call her an au pair as she's young but she's employed as a live in nanny on nanny wages.

MiddleAgedMother Sat 18-Jun-16 09:06:31

Rogan josh - def not gel.

Bambooshoots14 Sat 18-Jun-16 09:07:29

I think what you did would be what I'd of recommended. Was she clean at the interview? I understand why you'd like it dealt with but really not sure how

RiverTam Sat 18-Jun-16 09:08:05

I would tell her that she can't use your DCs hardibrushes for a start. And if she's a nanny refer to her as a nanny.

swamitjanet Sat 18-Jun-16 09:08:54

If it's not affecting her job I don't think there's much you can do about it.

YvaineStormhold Sat 18-Jun-16 09:09:42

Sorry, but I look back to some of the stuff I did when I was 19 and I wish I'd had a blunt, well-meaning adult to take me to one side and put me on the straight and narrow.

purplemoonlight Sat 18-Jun-16 09:10:13

If it's unacceptable to you in terms of employment you need to phrase it as such.

'We do expect a certain level of hygiene and that means daily showers and depending on your hair type a few washes a week.'

KoalaDownUnder Sat 18-Jun-16 09:12:40

Referring to her as an au pair because she's young is strange. If she's a nanny, call her one.

'Personal hygiene is important to us as a family'...seriously? It's her head, not your kids'.

YANBU.

IrenetheQuaint Sat 18-Jun-16 09:15:57

If your youngest is being difficult that gives you an in - 'sorry to ask this, but X is being difficult about personal hygiene so would you make a big deal of showering/washing your hair and how important it is? It will set a good example for her.'

PlaymobilPirate Sat 18-Jun-16 09:17:10

"Dd is going through a funny phase of not wanting her hair washed - can back me up and encourage her too please? I'm going to tell her that I wash my hair xx times a week because that's how often it needs to look and feel nice. What about you?"

AbsolutelyIDo Sat 18-Jun-16 09:20:49

Cringing at some of the suggested responses here.

blue2014 Sat 18-Jun-16 09:23:54

I don't see the problem is just asking her, honestly I'm lazy but part of her job is setting an example to the children thus it is impacting her work and needs to be mentioned. I'm hardly a clean freak but this just isn't ok.

MiddleAgedMother Sat 18-Jun-16 09:25:28

Thanks for those ideas.
Will try again.

It is having an impact on her job as I expect her to set a good example for youngest and be a role model for older and it was clear in interviews. (Rightly or wrongly, if she'd had greasy hair in all interviews I wouldn't have hired her!)

Will also offer again to buy shampoo again too though we have a cupboard full of it.

I call her an au pair as reality is that is more what it feels like. Especially at the moment!

The agency I used call them young nannies as they have some experience, anglo phone and salaries much higher....

YvaineStormhold Sat 18-Jun-16 09:27:21

In situations like these, I've learned to be honest.

Beating about the bush gets you nowhere.

Just be kind about it.

PHeadPH Sat 18-Jun-16 09:29:34

I think some of the suggestions are cringe'y too.

I think I'd try and be as straight as possible - I'm not sure how appropriate it is to say something but I suppose there are lots of jobs where personal appearance is important and where it would not be ok to have greasy hair.

Tricky situation.

TobleroneBoo Sat 18-Jun-16 09:46:21

What about if you all go swimming? She might feel the need to wash it after?

SpecialSnowflake Sat 18-Jun-16 11:16:16

How about just telling her straightforwardly what you've said here?
"Please don't share the children's hairbrushes when your hair isn't clean, and try to keep it neat when it isn't washed as DC are now asking to not wash their hair as they see that you don't."
That way you're not telling her what to do, but letting her know the impact she's having.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 18-Jun-16 16:58:24

If she is a nanny then call her your nanny

Does she have her own an suite?

If not and shares a bathroom then suggest a time she can shower and have a bath etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now