This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Kid playing with soap dispensers

(17 Posts)
Flemingo Thu 16-Jun-16 11:40:33

My 2yr old is hyperactive and doesn't sit idle for a moment. He literally turns the house upside down if left unattended, his current favorite to is the new soap dispenser that we have bought. He takes his small chair and climbs on it to take the dispenser and play with it and if we forcibly takes it from him he starts crying. I have locked the dispenser so that no soap comes out but I am sure he will soon find a way to unlock it. What if he unlocks it and the soap goes to his eyes or mouth? How do I make him stop playing with it? Any suggestions?

MinnowAndTheBear Thu 16-Jun-16 11:41:56

Make sure it's out of reach?

MewlingQuim Thu 16-Jun-16 11:45:09

Put it in a cupboards with child locks on?

Surely you have all the rest of your dangerous cleaning fluids etc. somewhere he can't get to, just put the soap there too confused

Cosmicbird Thu 16-Jun-16 12:13:07

Form the link it looks like it might be a wall mounted thing so couldn't be locked away in a cupboard? Is it in the bathroom or kitchen? Is locking the door an option? Take away his small chair so he has nothing to climb on? (Although if he's anything like my 20 month old he will just find something else to climb on! I have to stack all my kitchen chairs upside down on the table so he can't pull them around to climb up and reach things!)

Karoleann Thu 16-Jun-16 12:35:52

Just take it down and put it back up again when he's older?

TheDisreputableDog Thu 16-Jun-16 13:04:57

Give him an empty one to play with?

jannier Thu 16-Jun-16 13:53:38

As with all no items or activities watch him as soon as he goes for it say no your don't need to wash your hands now and remove him if he wont come with you, ignore the tantrum as long as he's safe of put him somewhere safe. Its part of testing boundaries (and your patients) and will be shorter lived if you persevere....then put dispensers of soap variety in messy play, conditioner and corn flour in a tray makes a great dough, bubbles in the water tray etc, so he is using a similar item in a safe supervised way. Removing an item is not teaching boundaries and causes issues when you go to someone's house.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 16-Jun-16 21:35:05

Take the chair away

Tell him no firmly

If he starts crying ignore him or possibly distract

He is older enough to know that no means no

You wouldn't let him play with knifes so why allow a soap disposed of he has a tantrum ?

Flemingo Fri 17-Jun-16 05:01:34

I guess I am going soft on him then. DH also tells me to firmly tell a no, but I can't bear his cries. Looks like it's time to change. Thanks for the replies everyone.

pelirocco123 Fri 17-Jun-16 06:04:37

Why do you have a link to the product ? I can't see (work out ) if you are a regular poster, otherwise I would call spam

insancerre Fri 17-Jun-16 06:42:00

Tell him no and then ignore the crying
Honestly, learning that no means no is the best thing you can teach him

Footle Fri 17-Jun-16 08:10:18

A mean thought perhaps , but if he does get soap in his eyes or mouth, he won't like it at all , and probably won't risk it again.

jannier Sat 18-Jun-16 19:50:59

Flemingo Fri 17-Jun-16 05:01:34

I guess I am going soft on him then. DH also tells me to firmly tell a no, but I can't bear his cries. Looks like it's time to change. Thanks for the replies everyone

crying is only them saying but I want to and knowing exactly how to get you to say well go on then....if you keep giving into it that's going to get worse...find your firm no voice use it and mean it tears or no tears.

Flisspaps Sat 18-Jun-16 19:52:31

1. What Pelirocco said

2. Just buy a bar of plain soap, he'll soon learn not to put it in his mouth!

purpleaura Sat 18-Jun-16 19:58:25

Sometimes with my toddler, I find it works to indulge him in what he wants to do. So if he's trying to pour milk on the table, we'll make some coloured water and get the jugs out and do water play and pouring. If he's squirting all my soap out, as he is want to do, we'll have a bath and play with an empty one filled up with water. It we'll practise hand washing in the sink, we'll told play where he's in charge of the disk and I am him if I can have some. I find this approach really helps, and lessens the urge to do it. I think often, they're just experiencing with the world and you can really help them learn by finding safe and responsible ways for then to try things out. Of course someone's these things are just not practical and we have to say boundaries. It doesn't mean you are soft, just different to your partner. Have a look at aha parenting and search for some stuff on gentle boundary settling if it interests you.

purpleaura Sat 18-Jun-16 20:00:57

Sorry, so many typos- in bed with little one and typing at same time!

bloodyteenagers Sat 18-Jun-16 20:02:41

Fuck me. £45. I thought the Dettol one was bad enough at £15 (when it first came out lol). They even do a stainless steel one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now