This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Crazy Parents!

(14 Posts)
SarahThom1 Sun 12-Jun-16 19:39:13

Hello
I just had to come on here and have a bit of a winge as I'm furious, I'm sure there have been other people in my position before.

I had a lady (a doctor working in the local hospital) contact me tonight asking if we could have a chat about possible child care.
She explained she needed someone to look after her 4 year old daughter during the night from 8pm until 8am.
She said it wouldn't be very often though only once or twice a month.
She asked what my rate was and as usual I said £8:50 an hour which is what I charge all my families.
She must of had a shock when I told her how much I charged so I asked her nicely how much she was willing to pay as i am willing to negotiate.
Her answer was £30 for the whole night and if she ever needed me in the evenings it would be £5 an hour.
I explained to her that £5 wasn't even national minimum wage and that I would not work for that.

Apparently she doesn't even make £8:50 an hour and also her daughter would be asleep the entire time.
I kindly refused her offer and wished her good luck finding someone.

Arggh what on earth is wrong with some people? Honestly why would any one think I would give up my time out of my life to go and look after their child for £30.
Baring in mind I work Monday to Friday as well so I would have to leave her home in the morning and go straight to work.
I am also first aid trained, OFSTED reg and have 6 years experience working with children.
Just makes me so angry that someone would actually think that's okay, especially a doctor!
Grrrr, I'm okay now! Got it all out haha. Any one have a story like mine?
Crazy parents!!

Thanks for listening guys x

PowerPantsRule Sun 12-Jun-16 21:24:23

That is ridiculous. I think she will have a loooong wait for childcare!

divafever99 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:27:38

She is a doctor and doesn't make £8.50 an hour???

RattieOfCatan Sun 12-Jun-16 21:31:29

Unfortunately people do it which is why they think that they can get people to do it! Drives me mad. I've had similar enquiries and have also been told that I'm mad hmm I directed them to my local nanny agency to see if they could talk sense into them. Doubt it though.

SarahThom1 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:54:30

I'm so glad other people agree with me. It's so frustrating that our profession isn't as valued as others.
My mum works nights in a nursing home and gets £10 an hour - all of the residents are asleep then as well yet because this little girl is asleep that means I should charge less. I just think it's wrong. I understand that the child is asleep so I would not have to do much but I'm still giving up my time, I'm in someone else's home so it's unlikely that i'd rest peacefully as I wouldn't be relaxed, plus it's not my child so why on earth should I do it for pittance.
Honestly some of these parents think the world owes them something!
Child carers wether that be nannies or child minders aren't bloody charities!
Very very annoying x

Evergreen17 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:04:37

You are right
Damn right!
It makes me cross when people try to put down what your job is worth envy
Well down on declining
Personally I think for a night shift you were offering a bargain
I used to earn £5 an hour as a bartender 11 years ago. I was in charge of giving people alcohol, not taking care of their kids
Good on you for refusing

StringyPotatoes Sun 12-Jun-16 22:04:46

In her defence, is she possibly used to having a live-in nanny? I live with my nanny family and in the early days an over-night was £30 as I was at home, in my bed, listening to a baby monitor. My rate as increased to £50 now in agreement with the family. As I said, they are my permanent family and I live-in.

For a different family I would charge more, I imagine as I would be away from home.

But you are right in saying many people don't value childcare as they do other professions and don't appreciate that whilst you may technically be doing "nothing" while their children are sleeping you are giving up your time to ensure they are safe and well!

SarahThom1 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:35:55

Thank you Evergreen17 - it's nice to know i wasn't wrong in how I was feeling. It's just a shame as obvousily that's how much she thinks her child is worth, it's a real shame.

StringyPotatoes - she did say she had a child minder who use to look after her daughter although I don't know many child minders who work nights so she could of possibly meant a live-in nanny.
I think what got my back up was that she wasn't even willing to negotiate, it was either £30 or nothing. She also blatantly lied by saying she didn't earn very much as a doctor which I don't appreciate, I'm not a mug at the end of day and won't fall for that BS.

But yes us child carers definitely get a harm time sometimes don't we! x

bluecarpet Mon 13-Jun-16 05:52:01

She is a doctor and doesn't make £8.50 an hour???

she is clearly being unreasonable, but yes, most junior hospital doctors earn less than that. The contract is complex but part of the reason behind the current industrial dispute is that junior doctors end up doing a lot of unpaid overtime - it isn't uncommon for the hourly rate to work out at around £7.

SilverDragonfly1 Mon 13-Jun-16 11:41:22

Next time someone pulls the 'I don't earn that much per hour!' card, say with deep sympathy, 'Oh dear, that must be very difficult for you. Have you considered nannying?'

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 13-Jun-16 17:56:28

Happens a lot

I state my hourly charge. Parents are 😱😱😱 and say they want to pay £X - usually £4-6 less ph

I wish them good luck in their search

2plus1 Tue 14-Jun-16 21:24:28

I do oncalls overnight for the nhs and had to have our nanny stay overnight incase I was called out all night. To be fair I get around £12 for 12 hours of oncall. Only if I work do I get paid an hourly rate. As said previously nhs contracts are complex and staff are expected to work longer and unsocial hours for not much more.

Pearlman Tue 21-Jun-16 06:39:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mimishimmi Tue 28-Jun-16 08:22:54

They are not crazy, they just want cheap labour and don't think it's worth paying much. You had the best response - just decline their stingy offers and wish them luck. They're exactly the sort to complain about poor quality childcare as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now