This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Aupair agency

(2 Posts)
Jenni363 Sat 04-Jun-16 16:35:32

Long story warning:

we we hired a mature mothers help through apparently reputable agency. She was supposed to be fluent in English, healthy, fit and came with 8 years childcare experience. We agreed to pay her twice as much per week compared to the previous one we had.

long story short - within 4-5 weeks it became apparent she wasn't suitable for the job - several reasons, she couldn't speak English properly, kids absolutely couldn't stand her... many other reasons, I found out she was lying to us, she was lying about us to somebody at my daughters school...

we we asked her to leave.. The agency couldn't find us a replacement... So that was it.. This experience left us out of pocket for about £700 in agency fees! I wrote to the agency asking for a full refund of the placement fees considering this lady was only with us for a short period of time... They point blankly showed absolutely no interest what so ever... We had so chase them several times... They agreed in refunding the extra supplement we had paid for 3 month replacement guarantee (additional £300 on top of the £700 fees).

I just can't think this is right?! Has anybody been in a similar experience?!

It can't be acceptable that they walk away with £700 for placing a totally unsuitable candidate to our family!?

I wrote to their regulator but in their opinion the agency is not in breach of their contract (we had signed a ridiculous T&C where they don't really take any responsibility.)..

what at else can I do...? 😐

Karoleann Sat 04-Jun-16 19:45:14

I don't think you can do anything.....just don't use an agency again.

I know there are a few people on here that have had a good experience with agencies (but I do suspect that some of them actually own/work for agencies), but I don't know a single person in RL that had managed to find a good au pair from an agency. Lots and lots of horror stories. We live in au pair land too.

I think the entire au pair industry needs better regulation, but it can't be done until after the referendum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now