This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

au pair vs live out nanny -net costs?

(13 Posts)
hopgarden1 Fri 03-Jun-16 22:22:26

Just wondering if anyone has tried both? Live in au pair paying for 'pocket money' and food, car, car insurance, petroleum, gym membership, heating, water, tele, Internet etc etc VS a live out nanny?!?
We need max 30 hours per week...I am just very torn!

Thanks!

jclm Sat 04-Jun-16 01:38:49

For me it's not about the costs at all but the fact that I don't want a teenager to live with us lol

Numberoneisgone Sat 04-Jun-16 01:40:31

Live out nanny. I have had great experiences with au pairs but it is hit and miss.

Tricerasaurus Sat 04-Jun-16 14:36:14

We paid £12 gross an hour for live out 30 hours a week. So £360 a week. On top of that we paid £10 an hour for babysitters which usually we used one night a week for 4 ish hours. So £400 childcare.

Our AP does 25 hours a week plus two evening babysitting a for £100 a week. We pay for her food but bills are little more then they would be without her and wifi is no more than without her. Unlike you we don't require her to drive so that's not an issue.

For us AP is much, much cheaper and more flexible.

hopgarden1 Sat 04-Jun-16 22:47:28

Just can't decide; current space not huge to live with au pair as was planning garage with studio but planning turned down today so huge delay on childcare solution...unless do nanny or keep coasting (tricky with work). I just wish someone knew which cost more?!? Silly I know. I'm not that keen on someone living with me but an evening out every few weeks would be a huge help!

jclm Sun 05-Jun-16 14:03:59

I think a nanny will always be much dearer. Haven't got any personal experience of hiring au pairs, but other aspects to consider are how old your children are and who can cover if nanny/au pair is ill or has some family issues. We have a whole team of child carers available to cover every eventuality.

Also do you live with a partner? If I were a single mum, I'd definitely take the plunge and hire an au pair, because things get lonely in the evening.

WellErrr Sun 05-Jun-16 14:07:56

Nanny is definitely dearer.

I am currently weighing up pt nanny vs au pair. Main problem with au pair is I don't want to live with a stranger. But a nanny is more expensive and less flexible.

Hmmmm.

mangocoveredlamb Sun 05-Jun-16 14:14:10

I think 30hrs for an au pair is quite a lot. That's about 6 hrs a day, and they should be able to go to language classes during the day etc.
I don't know what the rules are, but it might be worth checking!

RNBrie Sun 05-Jun-16 14:15:27

Au pairs are much cheaper. Ours is £120 a week, plus £15 monthly mobile contract. Our food bill has gone up around £25 a week. She's in the house all of the time so potentially higher utility bills but I guess a nanny would be too and we also switched tariffs so our bills have gone down. We pay her travel if she takes the children somewhere.

We don't pay gym membership, she's not insured on our car so we don't have those costs. We don't have paid for TV or anything extra. We would have paid for English classes if she wanted/needed them.

A live out nanny would have been at least double the cost of our au pair, especially once you factor in pensions and other expenses.

blueshoes Sun 05-Jun-16 14:56:08

A live-in aupair usually wins hands down as compared with a live out nanny. One big cost you will have for your aupair is car insurance which can be high the younger the aupair.

If possible, structure the aupair role so that she does not need to drive. If the aupair comes from Europe, she is likely to drive on the other side of the road and will need courses to orientate her to driving in the UK. Even then, will you trust her with the children in your car? I am sure other families have driving aupairs but I never got comfortable with that, particularly as aupairs can have a high turnover (agree with the 'hit and miss' comment).

blueshoes Sun 05-Jun-16 14:58:22

Aupairs typically work between 25 - 35 hours. At 35 hours, it is called aupair plus. Whatever it is, just make it clear with the aupair upfront what her hours are. Aupairs from Europe do not need a visa (query Brexit) and you can agree any arrangement with them within reason.

hopgarden1 Sun 05-Jun-16 20:44:15

Thanks so much for all advice. I think after asking my nanny friends that an au pair is for us because of the times and help I need (pick up from school and look after for a few hours etc) thanks!!! Now to find one- aupairworld or an agency? For my first I think it may be better to use an agency...what does anyone else think??

Numberoneisgone Tue 07-Jun-16 23:22:22

I use au pair world because essentially you can do all the interviewing yourself which when somebody is coming to live as a part of your family is actually a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now