This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder cost after school

(34 Posts)
Pidgythe2nd Fri 03-Jun-16 06:32:35

Just wondering what you pay or charge for a school pick up and sfterschool care.

I've been quoted £20 per day for pick up and 3 hours care. Snack and drink provided. I have to provide meal.

I'm pretty sure there will be no documents/learning journey, no activities and tv will be on with DS allowed to free play, relax, watch tv (which is fine s he'll be in reception and tired).

It's more than a local gap club with activities and resources so I was a bit surprised.

DiggersRest Fri 03-Jun-16 06:40:39

It's £5 per hour for my dd1.

Blueberry234 Fri 03-Jun-16 06:42:25

I pay £16 a day for an 4 hours total before and after school I provide dinner. He pretty much watches a bit of TV, plays in the garden and plays mine craft with cm eldest son but he is happy loves it and although he would get more if an educational time at after school club it isn't what he needs. He needs to relax and not be cajoled into organised activity

Pidgythe2nd Fri 03-Jun-16 06:43:30

Thanks.
We're in Surrey which I think is quite expensive for child care so probably relevant.

Pidgythe2nd Fri 03-Jun-16 06:45:59

Thanks Blueberry my reason for choosing the cm was that I'd rather he wasn't forced into various activities. I'm also going to have to pay for a breakfast club too. ...it's all adding up. 😩

Scarydinosaurs Fri 03-Jun-16 07:02:06

Standard rate where I am is fixed £20 a day for before AND after school care. This includes snacks and tea.

Pidgythe2nd Fri 03-Jun-16 08:26:08

Where roughly are you Scary?

BaronBaBa Fri 03-Jun-16 08:34:08

I have a similar question, what do I pay 16yo for taking my son to holiday club and bringing him home - around 1.5 hours total morning and afternoon, taking him on bus. Was thinking around £20 a day which is approx £6 hour plus travel cost. Really adds up though...

Scarydinosaurs Fri 03-Jun-16 08:34:27

Sorry- vital info! It's south east- not too far from you.

I've researched this a lot, as I'm planning on making this my career change next sept.

Pimmmms Fri 03-Jun-16 08:38:49

A couple of years ago in your neck of the woods outside he M25 the rates STARTED at £6 an hour. Inside the M25 they were around £8 an hour. So its about right i'm afraid. Does she take vouchers? That could reduce your cost a bit with some tax savings.

Dungandbother Fri 03-Jun-16 08:56:56

Yikes
I pay £4.50 an hour inside M25 and that includes breakfast and dinner.

£20 without dinner? shock

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Fri 03-Jun-16 09:22:25

We pay £13 for pick up at 3.05pm til 5.30pm inc hot meal we actually pick up around 4.45pm but its set for that time frame and gives me some flexibility, all in the area charged about £5/hr all get booked up due to lack after school care and most don't do meal.

In comparison school after school activity finish at 4.15pm available mon-thur and cost £3.50 per activity dont run for 2 weeks a yr.

The after school club run at the pre school is £12 a session and has 2yr waiting list

Nursery in next village is £6/hr inc meal

For our holiday club I pay £12.50 for an 8-5 day we provide food

Forresitters1 Fri 03-Jun-16 23:00:48

I'm in East London and charge £26.50 for after school pick up until 6pm. I used to provide dinner but no longer do this as my time was constantly spent preparing meals and it also restricted some of our after school activities so now just provide hot/cold snacks and drinks.

School children are not required to have LJ's, diaries etc. because this will all be recorded at school however it is good practice for CM's to take photos of them particularly when taking part in activities and reaching new stages of development so this can be passed over to parents as well as having verbal handover at the end of each session.

I buy toys and create activities which the children have particularly requested and we also visit the park, library, soft play centre, have play dates or birthday party celebrations etc. after school. If children are quite tired or have a DVD from home they would like to watch then we will have some educational tv on but we also use the tv to play nursery rhymes or number games and reading or word recognition on you tube.

Loulou2kent Fri 03-Jun-16 23:16:29

In Surrey I think £20 is about right.

mimishimmi Thu 09-Jun-16 11:53:33

$22 from 3-6 so equivalent of £11

NapQueen Thu 09-Jun-16 12:01:30

How is it even possible to provide a meal? Does he have to take it to school with him?

My cm is 4.50ph and that is inclusive of everything except (where needed, formula milk and nappies). She doesn't meals at 8am, 12 noon and 4pm so if the kids are there then they get a meal. Snack at 10am and 2pm roughly, with an ice lolly on hot days or a cookie on other days after the last meal. No TV in the room she CMs in, and they go out for a play outside (park, garden, beach) every day.

MangoBiscuit Thu 09-Jun-16 12:10:03

Our CM would charge me £16.90 a day for 4 hours after school including dinner. She usually takes the children to a playground on the way home to run off some steam, then they either play with toys at the house and relax, or they join in with the craft activity.

We live in the SE.

Pidgythe2nd Thu 09-Jun-16 12:21:51

It seems most agree it is on the high side, especially as no food or activities (not even to a local park).
The intention is I would have to send lunch with him to school or drop it round in the morning which honestly, is s complete faff!

Have decided to go with a gap club. Just need to visit and hope it is ok.

alibubbles Thu 09-Jun-16 14:38:22

I charge £15 flat fee for before school, no breakfast and £25 minimum after school, snack only

Fairuza Thu 09-Jun-16 14:45:40

I pay £20 for 45 minutes before school and 2hr45 mins after school. But tea is included.

DiggersRest Thu 09-Jun-16 16:33:02

Wow ali that is expensive. That's almost what my cm charged for a full day (£45) and I'm in London.

alibubbles Thu 09-Jun-16 16:58:46

I charge £75 a day or will do from Sept, first time I'be put my fees up for the first time in years for new clients. We have 39 day nurseries to compete with!

MurphysChild Thu 09-Jun-16 17:04:17

£1500 a month? shock

DiggersRest Thu 09-Jun-16 17:41:32

£75 per day? shock Out of curiosity, do you charge for your full holidays? Are you in London?

mimishimmi Fri 10-Jun-16 03:25:46

Ali, putting prices up in response to greater competition is generally not a good idea unless those 39 day nurseries are charging a lot more than that. In which case, you should go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now