This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

charging whild mindees at afterschool clubs

(15 Posts)
Captainladder Sat 28-May-16 10:17:04

Just wondering what most CMs do? Do you charge for time while your mindees are at afterschool clubs or not?

superram Sat 28-May-16 10:27:50

I would and many cm won't collect from after school clubs so I can't see parents having a problem with it.

Captainladder Sat 28-May-16 10:45:41

thanks superram and clearly that should read while and not whild! (though sometimes mindees are a bit ... whild...)

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 28-May-16 11:00:28

Yes as it's still a place if under 8

Captainladder Sat 28-May-16 11:20:54

would you still charge if over 8 blondeshavemorefun ?

PhoebeMcPeePee Sat 28-May-16 11:31:27

I do unless they're walking home unaccompanied

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 28-May-16 11:34:00

I'm not a cm - but the ones near me do as if anything happens to that Child the cm is on call so would pick up etc

OddBoots Sat 28-May-16 11:40:27

Do the parents expect the space to be kept open so they can cancel the club or have the CM be 'on call'? If so then charging is normal, if not then it wouldn't normally be charged.

LotsofDots Sat 28-May-16 11:46:25

I would expect to pay my CM whole my children are at after school activities as she is the person who will be called in event of a problem, and would have the children if the activity was cancelled for example.

Maryann1975 Sat 28-May-16 19:46:47

I wouldn't normally collect children from after school clubs. It is far to much hassle. My own children either have to miss clubs or I have to pull in favours from grandparents/friends so they can attend. If a mindee wanted to go I would expect parents to sort out a lift to my house for their child but I would expect to still be paid while they were there. Or they can cancel the place for that night permanantly and risk that if the club is cancelled (sometimes at short notice knowing our school) that I can't collect the child and they will be in a right fix then.

jannier Sat 28-May-16 20:13:13

If you go by car to a school run you can only fit in those number of children so regardless of age I would still charge, also as others have said you often find clubs cancelled at last minute so cm has to collect anyway. I would not pick up from the club unless I had no other children as its disruptive to others and we have to meet all needs of children in our care going backwards and forwards to school at 3.30 then 4.30 means too many ins and outs for others.

Captainladder Sat 28-May-16 20:24:44

Thanks for all your replies. I live pretty much round the corner from school and have agreed to do after school club pick ups and do currently charge a) because it is an inconvenience and b) because there have been a number of times that school clubs have been cancelled or the child has been unable to attend (non serious injury and didn't want to do sports club type of thing). My own children do some too, but if it was just them I could arrange for someone else to drop the back to me. Just wanted to see what the general consensus was and that I wasn't being unreasonable as have a new parent who has questioned this (despite it being made clear in my policies).

Nicadooby Mon 30-May-16 06:50:52

Yes I still charge if it's a contracted day as our after school clubs only tend to run for 5 weeks at a time so parents will need me to keep the space open. I live right next to the school to so very easy for me to collect again from any clubs. I do charge a minimum of 2 hours childcare after school which starts at normal school finishing time it's there choice if they choose to lose the first hour because of after school club

AHellOfABird Mon 30-May-16 21:11:58

Our school has hobby clubs which run until 1600 and after school care which runs until 1800. There's no discount on after school care if kids got hobby club first, which is right- the after school space is still being taken up!

Peasandsweetcorn Tue 31-May-16 22:47:39

Both my cm & the after school club charge whilst the DC are activities. This strikes me as being entirely fair as I will need then to pick up the pieces if the club is cancelled or similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now