This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny redundancy

(8 Posts)
Ifyoubuildit Mon 16-May-16 17:02:34

Hi - we need to make our nanny redundant as I have just quit my job. I want to do this in the kindest possible way. She's new to nannying and I'm new to having a nanny.

I'm really upset about having to make her redundant as she's brilliant. She's been with us for 18 months.

She's on 1 months' notice but I'm on 3 months. DH wants to give her only 1 months' notice as then we're covered for the rest of my notice period but this feels harsh to me (although I am worried what we'll do if she leaves early).

Any advice gratefully received.

Pigeonpost Mon 16-May-16 17:04:27

I would just give her the one month, maybe 6 weeks at a push. We had a similar situation. It was tough but we had the same concerns as your DH.

Frazzled2207 Mon 16-May-16 17:12:19

I would just give one month or maybe 6 weeks.
She never needs to know that your notice period was 3 months.

nannynick Mon 16-May-16 18:47:45

Tricky as you presumably still need childcare for the next three months. So I would just give the notice as required in your contract. Perhaps drop some hints that you are not that happy at work so it does not come as a complete surprise.

Are you going to look for a new job? If so then you may get that before your current one officially ends and so move straight in to that job.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 16-May-16 18:53:27

I've always said 4 weeks isn't a lot so more would be nice

Yes she may leave you before / she may not

I've had jobs wait for me and they've got a temp and reason I got the job was the fact I said I wouldn't leave my family early - ie in the lurch

blublutoo Tue 17-May-16 21:01:31

I would tell her now. I find a lot of nanny jobs start in September (I've been looking for September for months and most people had already set it all up.) so hopefully she can still see her 3 months out. It's really hard to find a job in a short space of time, many families will have already got a nanny in place for a months time.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 18-May-16 09:19:53

Unless you are planning on giving her more than statutory redundancy plus all her accrued leave obviously I would give her at least 6-8 weeks notice, more if she has holiday booked during the next 3 months as she won't be around to look for work.

It's really stressful to be made redundant and to not know if you can cover your bills. A months notice is short.

Yes, you are slightly up the creek if a new job falls into her lap sooner rather than later but its the decent thing to do.

civilfawlty Wed 18-May-16 09:23:15

Wholeheartedly agree with Treadsoftly. It's just about being a good person. You are in a person to make someone's life a bit less scary and upsetting. Someone who looks after your children, and has a relatively precarious and low paid job. It's the right thing to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now