This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Measles cases on the up in london

(5 Posts)
JeanGenie23 Mon 09-May-16 17:40:58

Did anyone else receive an email about this today? My phone let me attach a PDF file and I don't know how to convert it, but apparently there has been a significant increase in cases in the past three months, significant enough to remind everyone to keep their children up to date with MMR vaccinations. I've printed off the file and I am giving it to all my parents tonight

bigTillyMint Mon 09-May-16 17:43:36

We got an email from my DD's school.

My DS caught measles before he had the first MMR vaccination. DD didn't catch it because she had already had her MMR. Luckily it was mild - DFIL lost the sight in one eye to measles 60 years ago, and a friends sister was blinded and developed LD's nearly 50 years ago.

scaevola Mon 09-May-16 17:46:55

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/520861/WN1617.pdf

The NOIDs report gives the figures. Across the whole of England and Wales, there were 34 notified cases of measles, and of those 21 were in London (of which 15 in the inner boroughs).

JeanGenie23 Mon 09-May-16 18:20:44

Thank you for that scaevola

That's exceptionally high. It's so contagious it won't take much for it to become a much bigger problem!

scaevola Mon 09-May-16 21:12:04

The current 15/16 winter virus season down on last year (14/15) which in turn was down from the year before (13/14).

It's only when you get a much more localised and rather bigger clump that alarm bells start ringing.

The greatest number of cases in any council/borough area is Lambeth, with 5, followed by Southwark with 3. A couple with two, then single cases dotted round the country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now