This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Am I being taken advantage of? Please help!

(12 Posts)
Roundtumble Sun 08-May-16 06:52:41

Hi!

Apologies in advance for the long post but I really need some advice.

I'm a live in nanny to baby twins. I work 60 hours a week. 9 on tuesday 12 wednesday to saturday and 3 on sunday morning. 2 nights of baby sitting is also included which entails keeping their monitor at night which means if they wake I have to also and get them back to sleep. Sometimes they are OK and only wake up a few times but last week one of them was basically up the whole night screaming then the other woke so I ended up in their room with only a few hours sleep to begin another 7am 12 hour shift in the morning.

This is really taking a toll on my health and mood having such interrupted sleep/no sleep and then having to work a 12 hour shift the next morning.

Is this to be expected as a live in baby nanny or am I right in thinking that I'm being used?

Also very quickly the job was advertised as a mon-fri then when I had the phone interview she changed to tues-sun. I really wanted the job so I agreed as I thought it was a deal breaker. However I had to work weekends in my previous job so was happy when I found this one. I feel I was too rash to make a decision and have given them their life back in detriment to my own social life. I'm very unhappy and really very bored as I'm in the house 24/7 apart from taking them on a short walk in the afternoon & I'm too tired to do anything after work. What do I do?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you so much
smile

FishWithABicycle Sun 08-May-16 06:58:10

That sounds horrible and exploitative.
You need to get out of there.
Hand in your notice and get job hunting. These people want a slave not an employee and you must not accept it.

MatthewWrightIsThick Sun 08-May-16 07:03:19

That's sounds an awful lot of hours. I suppose it depends how much you earn as to whether you are being exploited or not? If they are paying £150,000 a year then it's ok iyswim

The two nights babysitting is ridiculous if you have to work the following day.

Have you spoken to them about it?

Yerazig Sun 08-May-16 09:00:36

There are rota 24/7 jobs out there which the pay is usually double of a normal nanny wage. But then it's a rota jobs so usually one week on one week off. Your employers surely can't expect you to keep going on the way you are working, no job is worth your healthy. If your not an amazing salary I.e £1000 a week I would be having a chat with them and explain to them how you are feeling.

Roundtumble Sun 08-May-16 09:03:45

Thank you both for the speedy reply! Glad for the support. I have yet to talk to them, wanted to hear other opinions on the matter before I did. I'm off soon so going home to mull it over then will have a sit down with them when I get back. 150K? Maybe in another life. Ha!

Roundtumble Sun 08-May-16 09:06:36

Thanks Yerazig. I will do!

Buggers Sun 08-May-16 09:12:31

How old are the twins? Does sound like a lot of hard work!

nannynick Sun 08-May-16 09:13:46

2 nights of baby sitting is also included which entails keeping their monitor at night which means if they wake I have to also and get them back to sleep.

You describe that as being all night. That sounds wrong to me. Babysitting in my view would usually be say 7pm to 11pm. Not all night long. All night is what a maternity nanny/nurse provides.

* I work 60 hours a week. 9 on tuesday 12 wednesday to saturday and 3 on sunday morning.*

60 hours per week may be fairly typical for a live-in role but it would be over 5 days. I looks to me as though you work Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat and Sun.

Domestic workers are exempt from SOME parts of the Working Time Regulations. Regulations 4(1) and (2), 6(1), (2) and (7), 7(1), (2) and (6) and 8.
So working time can:
4(1) & (2): exceed an average of 48 hours for each seven days.
6(1) & (2): night worker’s - can exceed an average of eight hours for each 24 hours.

Regulations 10 and 11 would still apply, these are to do with Daily Rest and Weekly Rest. The one to look at here I think is Daily Rest, which is minimum of 11 hours per 24 hours. "An adult worker is entitled to a rest period of not less than eleven consecutive hours in each 24-hour period during which he works for his employer."
This 11 hours is not as a block, it can be made up of several periods.

The 60 hours per week part is fine, it is the 'babysitting' part which could breach the Daily Rest requirement.

I am assuming that you are working in the EU, Working Time Directive.

I would initially focus on this babysitting and have a discussion about it being evening, not all night. Though it does depend on your initial agreement - so do refer back to the job advert (if you have it) and to your contract of employment.

If you are in the UK, you can get impartial advice from ACAS - ink{http://www.acas.org.ukwww.acas.org.uk 0300 123 1100}

nannynick Sun 08-May-16 09:15:06

ACAS - 0300 123 1100

nannynick Sun 08-May-16 09:23:46

Ignore me... the 11 hours would need to be consecutive. The split thing was to do with a young worker would not apply in this case, as I assume you are aged 18+.
Domestic staff are exempted from various parts of the Working Time Regulations so check with ACAS if that 11 consecutive hours of Daily Rest would apply in your situation.

Roundtumble Sun 08-May-16 09:49:53

Buggers, they are 7 months old. Nanny nick, I agree that 60 hours is standard for a live in however the babysitting all night is not. Thank you for all the info. I'll defo take a proper look at it.

nannynick Sun 08-May-16 12:30:22

Yes, I would tackle the babysitting all night part... see if you can come to some agreement about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now