This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much and how long is usual to pay sick pay for nanny please?

(7 Posts)
nicegirl73 Tue 03-May-16 10:23:19

I realise this will probably vary.
I'm still setting up our contract and want to cover any eventuality, so I would love to hear how other people do this please.

Thank you all!

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 03-May-16 11:01:52

When I had a nanny it was SSP only with any additional sick pay paid at my discretion and capped at a maximum of two weeks per annum.

Doing it now I'd lop of the extra bit about the cap but had to compromise because it was a nanny share.

nicegirl73 Tue 03-May-16 11:38:09

Thank you!

Cindy34 Tue 03-May-16 16:52:03

SSP only is common. That then leaves it up to discretion if a day is paid occasionally.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 04-May-16 10:58:35

SSP only is common. That then leaves it up to discretion if a day is paid occasionally.

This. It's a PITA to alter payroll payments for the occasional sick day but if you have someone who is starting to take the piss or ensuring they take their "allowance" annually then you don't have to take any contractual steps.

The alternative is that you use the same system as a large company which is that you give full pay for 3 days after which it is SSP and a doctors note required.

Domestic employers cannot reclaim the cost of SSP any more so it has unfortunately forced most people into a position of contractually making it entirely at their discretion.

RattieOfCatan Wed 04-May-16 13:27:01

I agree with SSP only too. This is the only job where I've had my own sick days paid, in a previous job my employer insisted on me not working if I had even a sniffle, so she paid me the days where I felt I could come in and not the days where I was actually ill (probably max. 2 or 3 in the two years there! Lots of days where she sent me home or told me not to come in though ridiculously!)

WickedGirl Sat 07-May-16 15:07:58

I once worked worked for a family. SSP was agreed in the contract (which is standard in most nanny contracts)
Their children caught a sickness bug. The parents didn't tell me until I arrived. I too caught the bug and due to only working part time (3 days a week), I only took one day off ill.
They didn't pay me anything for that day. I feel that's a bit mean as I caught the bug from them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now