This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do You collect money?

(30 Posts)
BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 16:49:50

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask (sorry if not- I'm new!) but do any CMs, nurseries or after school clubs etc out there use any systems for collecting money from parents? I'm trying to think of a way to make things easier than just asking for cheques/cash. I've tried asking for bank transfers but I still need to chase them up. Just wondered what everyone does else in case I'm missing a trick-Thanks in advance!

MiddleClassProblem Wed 27-Apr-16 16:51:30

We just pay cash but I would be happy to pay by PayPal if it was an option

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 17:45:11

Thanks, do you get an invoice each month or pay in advance? What would happen if you wanted extra sessions - how do they track payments?! Sorry for all the questions grin

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 17:46:26

Does everyone just spend hours doing paperwork??!

MiddleClassProblem Wed 27-Apr-16 17:51:01

So it's a term time toddler group. They email the cost at the end of term and we pay cash on the first class each half term for the whole half term. You can pay by chequered or bank transfer which has some complicated reference system so I don't bother.

I'm not sure what they do if someone doesn't pay.

Doublejeopardy Wed 27-Apr-16 17:54:34

I set up a dad for my CM and pay by bank transfer for any extra hours. I would expect her to ask me to set it up if I didn't and think of it as paying another monthly expense

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 17:54:39

I see, thanks smile

Doublejeopardy Wed 27-Apr-16 17:59:33

That should be dd not dad !!!!

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 17:59:53

direct debit Doublejeopardy? Do you still get a invoice then for the extra? Has CM ever talked about late fees or anything? I'm thinking it could all get awkward?!

icclemunchy Wed 27-Apr-16 18:01:45

I pay my childminder weekly on the last session of the week. It's very rare that I'll have an extra one so it's usually the same.

I know some of her other parents pay bank transfer or via childcare vouchers

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 18:10:24

Thanks icclemunchy, how flexible are they? Would they be really funny if you forgot the money one week for example? I just don't know how people keep on top of it all- confused

HSMMaCM Wed 27-Apr-16 19:03:17

I invoice monthly in advance. Parents pay by bank transfer and/or vouchers. Some have set up a regular standing order so they are a bit over some months and a bit under on others.

I do have late fees on my contracts, but have only used them twice with people who were really trying their luck.

Any extras are just added to the invoice the following month.

Doublejeopardy Wed 27-Apr-16 22:06:39

I have a contract for a year so it's the same amount monthly, extras are just a couple of hours and I pay her the same week via bank transfer and round it up to the nearest £.

She actually works term time only but we both agreed to spread the costs over each month sept - August. If we left or she stopped there would be some maths to work out but it's better for both of us and we agreed this at the start.

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 22:11:12

Thanks for your responses everyone. How do you record all of the information? Do any of you use spreadsheets on the computer or all done on paper? Thanks smile

HSMMaCM Wed 27-Apr-16 22:18:42

I use excel spreadsheets and email everything to parents. You need to be registered with ico if you keep anything on your computer or phone.

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 22:27:37

Thanks, what's ico please?

icclemunchy Wed 27-Apr-16 22:29:57

No she's happy for me to pay next week if for eg. The cash point isn't working. But she had my eldest from 9months till starting school and now has DD2 so not sure if we just get an extra level of trust

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 22:34:40

Icclemunchy- yes that's got to count for something hasn't it?! Do you get receipts and invoices? Thanks

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 22:39:09

HSMM -How long would you say it takes you each month to do your admin stuff?

HSMMaCM Wed 27-Apr-16 22:44:01

ICO - information commissioners office - data protection stuff

I work a 4.5 day week and do the admin on the other half day.

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 22:51:27

Thank you, do you do planning and learning journeys in that time too or is that extra on top?

BackforGood Wed 27-Apr-16 22:55:41

I'm not a CM, but have used a few, over the years.
I used to find it a pain when they wanted me to pay in cash.
Best were the ones who let me pay by standing order - all sorted then.

I've only ever had a fixed contract. Not come across differing amounts each week or month.

PhoebeMcPeePee Wed 27-Apr-16 23:03:01

Same as HSMM I invoice monthly in advance and make any adjustments the following month. All my parents pay by bank transfer (some regular amount as a standing order) and childcare vouchers. I usually allow 2 -3 hours each month to write & send all my invoices and sort receipts & input monthly data onto my tax return spreadsheet. I'm really slack with other paperwork so that takes me about 10 minutes blush.
In 4 years as a cm I've charged late fees about 5 times - 4 of which to the same family and 1 which did the job & stopped recurrent lateness. Never charged for late payment but so far have been very lucky with parents no non-payers and all pay roughly when they should!

BitsofPaper Wed 27-Apr-16 23:07:58

Aargh tax returns??!!shock

NickNacks Wed 27-Apr-16 23:08:58

Are you a childminder??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now