This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny doesn't wash her hands....

(23 Posts)
testbunny Fri 22-Apr-16 14:17:07

...after going to the loo (both 'things') sorry, tmi!).

We have only noticed it recently as we have moved into a flat where the bathroom (with sink) and loo are seperate, although she does walk past where the sink is so it is easy just to pop in and wash her hands. I have already heavily hinted to her before, which she did take it on board and start to do it (albeit probably only when I was around!) - but it has slipped again. She cooks for the children and for us so it is grossing me out!

It is really hard to find a nanny to do the hours we need and she is just about getting into the swing of things so I don't really want to get a new nanny. Of course, other nannies we've had may well have not washed their hands (we were previously in a flat where the loo and the sink where in both in the same room), and I wouldn't have known any better!

Even if I have a word with her, is she just likely to carry on not doing it when I'm not there? What shall I do??

Thank you!

Ebb Fri 22-Apr-16 14:30:40

Gross! Be blunt and tell her not to be so grim and to wash her hands.

testbunny Fri 22-Apr-16 14:38:29

but will she do it when we are not there? Maybe it is something she doesn't care about/never done?

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Fri 22-Apr-16 15:05:53

Does she really not wash her hands after doing a poo? I'm shocked!

You can either tell her directly (no hints) that this is vital and must always be done in work time, and you will have to trust she does it when you aren't there, or if you can't trust that then find a new Nanny.

I have been a bit lazy with some personal hygiene in the past and my DH very bluntly telling me how disgusting it was bought me to my senses! No beating about the Bush.

testbunny Fri 22-Apr-16 15:16:44

if i wanted to let her go, do I have to give her full notice period??

Karoleann Fri 22-Apr-16 15:23:39

tesbunny - it depends on what your contract says.
Not washing hands when making formula with a teeny newborn when contracting e.coli could kill him/her could be considered gross misconduct, but not really with an older child.
Just have a chat to her about it and explain why its important.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 22-Apr-16 21:18:48

And maybe also ask her to wash hands after a nappy change and before preparing food as well

Tho it is common sense ......

KittensandKnitting Fri 22-Apr-16 21:21:11

Does she maybe use a hand sanitizer instead?

I wash and sanitizer because I'm slightly nuts but just a thought maybe she just uses sanitizer or at least I hope.

Although how you know what she's doing or not doing in the bathroom I have no idea!

testbunny Fri 22-Apr-16 22:00:21

No, she doesn't use sanitizer but we are going to leave some out now! You don't want to know how I know what she does..

Hedgehog80 Fri 22-Apr-16 22:04:37

How old are dcs? If not babies and at the toilet training stage or older perhaps you could say they need reminding to wash their hands and see if it prompts her to do the same?

Maryann1975 Fri 22-Apr-16 23:02:46

I want to know how you know what she does. Have you been spying on her or have you left some kind of 'trap' so you can tell if the sink has been used? I'm intrigued!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 22-Apr-16 23:22:13

I want to know as well

Hope you didn't see /smell poo on her hands

'Blondes heaves'

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 22-Apr-16 23:25:23

I want to know!grin

testbunny Sat 23-Apr-16 07:41:47

The loo is in a different room to the sink (but you walk past it when you leave the loo), so easy to tell. She's in there for a long time and loo in a prominent postion in the house so you can hear.... We need to move!

testbunny Sat 23-Apr-16 07:43:09

DH had a word with her last night. Explained about the children (so they see etc,) and how important it is to us . Hope sorted now. Thank you all

KittensandKnitting Sat 23-Apr-16 10:46:46

Gosh sounds awful

But please do tell what her response was, did she confess?

I'm way to invested in this - but find it very troublesome!

testbunny Sat 23-Apr-16 12:20:41

She said that she washes her hands in the kitchen sink, which she definitely didn't as I was in the kitchen. The bathroom with the wash basin is right next to the seperate loo - you have to walk past it to get to the kitchen! The bathroom is small, the sink is close to the door. In any case, it's still quite unhygienic to wash your hands in the kitchen sink after you've been for a poo!

We have had nannies for years, but have always been in houses where there isn't a seperate loo, but a bathroom with loo and sink. Previous nannies may well have not washed their hands but we wouldn't have ever known as the door was obviously shut. Ignorance is bliss, after all!

Phew. Feel much better but I'm still not going to eat anything she cooks ;)

KittensandKnitting Sat 23-Apr-16 21:48:39

It's not unreasonable to think people wash their hands after using the toilet especially looking after little kids and preparing food...

Good luck smile

StealthPolarBear Sat 23-Apr-16 21:52:36

Ugh. I suspect this is more common than we think.

StealthPolarBear Sat 23-Apr-16 21:54:02

And I bet the wash she does end up doing after prompting is a quick rinse of fingertips under the water. I was horrified when I first saw this - so now you've dampened the germs, what next?

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 24-Apr-16 09:01:59

Maybe you need to do the sniff test grin

Years ago I had to do that with a 6yr boy who didn't wash hands

I used to check and sink was dry

He caught onto that and then ran water and hands briefly under

Hence the sniff test

Soap or poo ........

Mumchatting Fri 29-Apr-16 20:48:35

Oh I wouldn't keep her as a nanny. It's awful . It's a lack of a basic hygiene.

Ankleswingers Fri 29-Apr-16 20:56:25

I wouldn't keep her either. yuk yuk yuk.

Honestly OP, get rid. This isn't going to get any better and better to do it before, heaven forbid, your child gets E. coli or something equally nasty.

I would get rid pronto.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now