This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nursery room leader wants to be nanny - how much per hour?

(8 Posts)
cheryl23 Fri 15-Apr-16 17:39:04

My lo's nursery room leader is leaving the nursery and has expressed an interested in being a nanny to my lo. She's level 3 qualified and has been at the nursery for 4 years. I know nanny's generally charge £10-12 ph. How much would you suggest I should be willing to pay? £10 or slightly less as although she looks after children at the nursery she's never been a nanny. Would really appreciate any advise.... Thanks

Note, she is leaving the nursery anyway/will have left the nursery and is having a few months break before starting us.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Fri 15-Apr-16 18:30:27

Check your nursery contract it might say you are unable to hire their past staff members

Abbott10 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:45:12

Thanks, I will do

PotteringAlong Fri 15-Apr-16 18:47:22

Also you need to work out whether you will be in charge of her tax and national insurance or will she? Does she want to be self employed or are you employing her? That will make a difference to the £10
- is that take home pay? Do you need to add contributions to the top of that?

Abbott10 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:51:02

Yes I would
Have to pay ni , tax on top plus any contributions and that's why I'm wondering if it's too high for someone who isn't a nanny yet although has had 4 years experience in a nursery. What are your thoughts?

nannynick Fri 15-Apr-16 18:58:55

You want to offer them more than they earned in nursery but not too much more.

It is far easier to increase salary, then to decrease it. So you could offer an initial salary and increase it over time, such as following successful completion of probation (which can be several months), and on each anniversary of the start date.

As a nanny when I first started I was on a little over £7 gross an hour. Nannies do not all get £10-12 per hour. They may want to earn that, they may want to earn that much Net but not everyone gets offered that.

Try to look at salaries in your local area. What do nurseries pay? What is the salary range of nanny jobs in the area?
Sites like www.greatcare.co.uk and www.nannyjob.co.uk can help you see job ads.

You want to offer something attractive but also something that reflects their nannying experience - which is little to none. You don't know how they will cope with children on their own, instead as of part of a team. You don't know how they will cope without having a break. You don't know how they will adapt to doing things your way, taking children out and about, doing some housework duties in addition to caring for your children. All sorts of things are different between the job roles - many adapt well from working in a nursery to working as a nanny but some don't and they return to nursery work.

Do make sure you have done the sums, know what you can afford to pay. Offer below what you can afford to pay - you need room for pay rises. You need to take account of the cost of outings and activity supplies. You may be providing your nanny with a meal, or two even.

nannynick Fri 15-Apr-16 19:04:09

Agree a gross salary. They will be used to being paid a gross salary, as no nursery pays net wages.

Your main costs are then:

Gross Salary
Employers NI
Payroll Admin
Cost of activities/outings/mileage

You deduct your nannies income tax and national insurance from their gross pay and pay it once every 3 months (Jan, April, July, Oct) to HMRC. So yes you do pay that but you deduct it from their salary with a gross pay agreement. Employers NI is the tax you pay as an employer. No pension to worry about quite yet, assuming you are a first time employer but that will start in Nov 2017 if you are starting employing a nanny in the next few months.

Abbott10 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:22:27

Thank you both that is really useful. I may even offer more like £8 ph gross with a guaranteed rise to 9/10 after an agreed time period. As you say it is very different environment/expectations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now