This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Questions for minder-advice please!

(12 Posts)
thereareworsethingsicoulddo Thu 14-Apr-16 16:18:34

I'm meeting with a prospective childminder for my DS next week. What questions do I need to ask her aside from the obvious hours and cost? I'm very nervous about leaving my PFB please help!

Paulat2112 Thu 14-Apr-16 16:23:12

What does she charge for your holidays/her holidays/bank holidays
Why did she get into cm?
What kind of activities doe she do at home?
What places do they visit?
Do they attend toddler groups/cm groups?
What kind of food does she serve?
Is food included?
Who else lives at home?
Ask to see registration, insurance, disclosure etc

thereareworsethingsicoulddo Thu 14-Apr-16 16:28:03

Thanks Paula. Being a bit thick now, what do you mean by disclosure?

Paulat2112 Thu 14-Apr-16 16:29:16

Their criminal back ground check. It has different names depending which country you are in in the UK smile

Tanith Thu 14-Apr-16 17:05:06

You don't need to see a childminder's disclosure and it's not appropriate to ask for it. It's a private document for Ofsted and they have done the checking for you.

If she has a registration certificate, that is your assurance that she is checked as suitable to work with young children.

thereareworsethingsicoulddo Thu 14-Apr-16 18:21:32

How important is it that they are Ofsted Registered?

Nan0second Thu 14-Apr-16 18:24:00

It's the law that they are registered if caring for more than 2 hours a day so vital!!

Balletgirlmum Thu 14-Apr-16 18:24:14

Very important as its illegal to childmind children under 8 without being OFSTED registered.

thereareworsethingsicoulddo Thu 14-Apr-16 18:38:24

Aha ok. So a 'registered childminder' means Ofsted registered? Sorry if I seem a bit naive!

NickNacks Thu 14-Apr-16 19:11:38

Yes it does. Do you need any more help?

peppatax Thu 14-Apr-16 19:16:46

Maybe not so relevant for a baby but what is their method of discipline - naughty step, warnings etc - just for consistency with home where possible. What they do if food is not eaten (offer alternative/reporting back)

thereareworsethingsicoulddo Thu 14-Apr-16 20:09:28

Thanks everyone that's really useful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now